2

It was several days before Sonic could get out of bed. (Y/n) visited him frequently, the doctor checking in regularly.

Walking was harder than it should have been. Having his speed ripped out of him was like breaking both of his legs. He was shaky. He was exhausted after the first few steps.

He was angry. Furious. With his situation and with Eggman for stealing his speed. (Y/n) was right. That was cheating. And as much as Sonic believe revenge was wrong, he felt the irresistible tug to hurt his nemesis just like he'd been hurt.

"Twelve, thirteen, fourteen-no, you've got it, you've got it!" (Y/n) grunted as Sonic stumbled, taking them both to the ground. He pushed himself up on his hands, spitting furiously. The (a/t) rolled to her feet, offering her hand. Sonic ignored it, forcing himself onto his feet.

"This shouldn't be so hard," he snarled. "I've been running my whole life. Walking should be easy!"

"Your speed held you up. You could run on water, up walls. That much power being ripped from you? Honestly, Sonic, you're lucky to be alive." (Y/n) held out her arm. "Fourteen's your record. Let's see if we can make it fifteen."

~

"Get him some fresh air. I don't care if you have to wheel him out or give him a piggy back ride. He's insufferable and it'll be good for him." The doctor dropped his tablet unceremoniously on the bedside table, gesturing to the doors. "The more movement he has, the stronger he'll be, and the faster he'll recover, whether or not that includes his speed."

"Insufferable," Sonic said with a weak grin. "Finally, a word from him that doesn't involve weakened."

"He's practical and straight to the point," (Y/n) said plainly. "Now, how do you want to do this?"

"I'll walk."

"Sure you will. You collapsed into that bed like it was the last time you would ever rest."

"That was five hours ago. I want to move, and like the doctor said: The more I do it, the stronger I'll get." Sonic swung his legs over the side of the bed, kicking them to get the blood flowing. (Y/n) sighed and held her arm out, but he waved her off. "I've got this."

"Sure. Okay." She stepped back and he pushed himself onto shaky legs, but he refused to brace himself. I can do this. He stumbled past (Y/n) and the doctor, to the door, counting each step.

Nine, ten, eleven...hey! This is getting easier! He straightened his spine, taking more confident steps. Exhaustion started to curl around his muscles, but his body finally, finally, caught onto the muscle memory and then he was walking. Down the hall and out into beautiful, fresh air.

"Sonic, wait up!" He turned with a joyful grin as (Y/n) jogged out to meet him, looking both ways. She approached him, baring her teeth slightly. "This is the first time you've left the building since you got here. You have to be more careful than that. People want to kill you!"

"And you don't?" He turned away from her, his ears twisting backwards.

"Touché, but I still want it to be a fair fight. And when you can barely walk?" Sonic tuned her out as he took in his surroundings. The Dregs didn't look anything like he'd imagined. It looked...normal. Like a normal city, maybe a little more rundown, but people were walking about normally, lights were on, businesses were open.

"It's just a city," he murmured. "I thought..."

"It would be a little shantytown? Think again, Blue. This is home." (Y/n) came to stand beside him, staring almost fondly at the city. "Maybe I'll show you some of my favorite haunts."