Miscommunication

TW//Death mention, mild blood

When Tommy was born, their mother didn't make it, Wilbur was the one who held Tommy first, Philza overtaken by grief and shaking too much to hold the child, but no one knew at the time the influence this had on Tommy, Wilbur held him for a long time, not knowing of his mothers passing, currently overjoyed to be the first with his brother.

No one knew what this could cause.

~~~~~

Wilbur loved Tommy, really he did, but it struck a chord when the child spoke his first word. Wilbur is only ten at the time, Tommy is almost one, a true babbler, Tommy was loud and loved attention, Philza, their father, was often away so that left Wilbur and his brother Technoblade to take care of Tommy, but Techno was terrible with kids so it was almost always Wilbur taking care of Tommy.

Wilbur laid in bed, almost falling asleep before he was reawakened by crying, he sighed, rubbing his temple to rid it from the headache constantly forming, eventually he got up and sauntered over to Philzas room where Tommy's crib sat. He opened the door and went in, going over to the crib, "shh, shh, it's okay Toms," Wilbur mumbled as he lifted Tommy into his arms, the cow plushie Tommy had been clutching dropped back into the crib. Tommy stopped crying, looking up at Wilbur with his big wide blue eyes, hands reaching up absently to Wilburs brown curls, he cooed at the sight, smiling softly as Tommy grabbed and tugged at his hair.

"Dada!" Tommy cheered, opening his arms as if for a hug, Wilbur froze, almost recoiling, "dada!" Tommy repeated, reaching back up to reach a higher strand of hair.

"What was that Tommy?"

"Dada!" Tommy began repeating it a bunch as he continued grabbing Wilbur's hair.

Wilbur laughed softly, "I'm not dad," Wilbur said, Tommy looked at him with a disapproving frown.

"Dada." He said it as if it were a statement.

"I'm not-"

"Dada!"

Wilbur shakily sighs, not knowing how to react to being called "dada" by his little brother, the little guy was stubborn, if he thought Wilbur was his dad, there's nothing he could do about it except pray he stops thinking that eventually.

"Let's go back to sleep, that work for you Toms?" Wilbur asked, slowly lowering Tommy back into the crib. Tommy let out some babbles which Wilbur couldn't understand for the life of him, "goodnight," he murmured, placing Tommy down gently.

When Tommy began to fall asleep, Wilbur turned on his heel and basically fled the room as if there was a fire, he rushed to his room, closing the door leaning his back on it and sliding down until he was sitting.

He's being dramatic. Techno always says Wilbur was a drama queen, it's not a big deal, just a bit of miscommunication, don't overthink it.

Wilbur takes a deep breath, gets up, and goes to bed, closing his eyes and laying there for what felt like ages before he finally fell back asleep.

~~~~~

Wilbur is woken up by crying, it's definitely morning this time, seeing as the sun is visible through the window, Philza should be home. Just to confirm those thoughts the crying stops.

He gets up and sluggishly walks to his door, opening it and looking up to see Philza standing at Tommy's door with Tommy in his arms, cooing softly at the little one before noticing Wilbur, "Will! How have you guys been handing Tommy while I was gone?"

"He's been..." Wilbur tries to ignore the sinking feeling he gets when he thinks about Tommy's first word, "amazing, other than throwing food at me and Techno during meals, he's been good, isn't that right Tommy?" Wilbur asked as he approached his father bringing his hand to the child who happily grabbed onto Wilbur's hand.