09 | so beautifully pure

0 9

how strange to dream of you
even when i am wide awake
- d.j.

she remembers standing still for a moment, in awe. if she were to explain her voice, she would, no doubt, say its heavenly. like maybe she's dying, this is the gates of heaven, and she is the angel. her voice sounded sad but calm as she sung at a low pitch, her melodically tone nothing short of hypnotic. in fact, goldie even felt hypnotized, frozen in place. but then she's walking in her direction.

her heart that was beating through her chest only seconds before had suddenly stopped when the woman craned her head to glance behind her, looking straight at goldie. the sides of her lips quirk up slightly as she takes a mental picture of her rounded, wide-eyed face. she pats the spot beside her, slightly scooting to the right to give goldie space to sit.

goldie didn't know what she was about to get herself into. so, naturally, she walked towards her and sat down, staring into her alluring eyes; the way it smoothed at the sides. curly blonde hair in a bun, sharply stopping at her free neck. eyes shaped like almonds, fiercely green, but still showing kindness. pearly white teeth as she laughs for no reason at all. "hello," she smirks, nudging goldie's side with her elbow.

she can't help but notice the small features. when she giggles quietly, her nose is easy to crinkle like her smiling eyes, her honeydew freckles mixing with her flushed cheeks. the blush on her cheeks is embarrassingly apparent because of her skin (golden-brown with a not-so-subtle rosy glow). it's adorable, and her voice is a delicious craving of honey as she speaks in soft undertones, barely raising above a whisper. "what's your name?"

"goldie."

she pauses, her eyes widening. "oh my, that is so cute and unique," she exclaims, voice still surprisingly soft. though, she pauses once more to test the name on her own tongue. goldie has to look away, refraining from looking at her lips when she does so. "mine is noémie." (it is in fact the girl from the bookstore).

when she tries to look back, noémie has a smile that turns goldie into a puddle with no hesitance. shyly looking away, she leans over the dock to run her fingers along the water-the water moves through the ring, and it tickles her skin just barely-it creates small ripples as it forms a glimmering light. the natural movement causes a quiet sound to erupt. "you live around here?" noémie asks into the silence. "i've never seen you around, except when i was checking out books, and i've lived here my whole life," she explains slowly.

"-right over there." she points behind them, and goldie squints to see it. the house looks blue, but it's way too dark to see exactly. it's not too big, and goldie has passed it many times, riding her bike with one hand in the handle bar, and another waving to neighbors, other times she's holding a snack like it's her lifeline. or when she just walks for the fun of it, getting her steps in for the day.

noémie notices how goldie's lucious locks sway slowly, and her expression changes. "i was born here, in france," she starts, and the curious look in noémie's eyes makes her feel all the more vulnerable, but the warm smile she gives is indeed reassuring. "but i moved with my parent's to my father's house, or really, the house he grew up in. it's in the country, and it's absolutely not my style. i'd rather play badminton on the beach than in the itchy grass, thank you very much."

after noémie lets out a quiet laugh, her body stills as she looks deep in thought, her eyebrows etched together. she takes a moment to think, goldie assumes, before she speaks up: "then you moved back recently, then? can i ask when exactly?"

goldie nods rapidly. "earlier today is when i made it, and i made it all alone. they still owned the house and they didn't want to come back, for their own reasons, but they let me. so, yeah. here i am," she smiles, shrugging. "and i guess i never noticed you as a child 'cause i was in the house and i never left, really, always keeping myself busy with a board game or a move night with myself as an only companion," she stops, chuckling. "well, besides the overly buttery popcorn i had by my side."

noémie mumbles a soft oh and then it's silence. both of them are comfortable in it, completely so. but after a minute or two, noémie's expression softens further as her mouth carves a coy smile. "i lured you in, didn't i?"

"huh?" goldie blurts out, confused.

"my singing. it lured you in, and i'm grateful. it's been a while since i've been able to make an acquaintance."

"i wouldn't want to burst your bubble, but i was going to come over here either way. i'd probably be swimming right now," goldie smirks, glancing at her. noémie doesn't seem fazed, the smug look planted on her face. "can i get promoted to potential friend?"

a breathy laugh escapes noémie's mouth. "without a doubt," she murmurs, shaking her head playfully.