21 | vi. an unspoken chapter

mom always told me to be cautious when in love

mom always told me to be cautious when in love. i don't know if i took her advice, because when i listen to the silence, it's telling me that my lover will never do me no harm. with mom leaning against the marble counter, rag in hand as she stops doing the dishes for a second, she told me,

"honey, you put yourself first. that is the number one rule. you love yourself, and then you let her in. you let her see you. you let her see the depths of your soul, and you'll be surprised to find out the things you can get up to."

(i've already went places, i've let her in, but everyone has a chapter they don't read out loud.)

earlier today-after we hung out and got icecream at the local parlor near tranquil park-with goldie's foot off the pedals and her hand on the handlebars, the other holding one of the ice cream cones she just bought for us, i told her what my mom had said. she took a moment to respond; she paused her movements, mid-lick. she shut her mouth, licked her lips with a frown, and finally responded with "it takes some time, mimi." (i've learned). she turned the frown into a small smile. "-but i know you're worth it. you will be the first person i tell."

then, and right now, i remind myself that like the moon, we must go through the long phases of emptiness to eventually feel full again, and i smile back in both intervals of time.