~ Chapter Five ~

The alarm I had set on my phone started going off. It is currently 6:45 in the morning. I got out of bed, making sure I didn't wake up my aunt.

I headed towards the bathroom to brush my teeth and fix my hair. Pulling my dark blonde hair into my signature low messy bun, I proceeded to put on my black felt cowboy hat. Then headed over to my closet. I shimmied into my jeans and threw on a gray tank top. I grabbed my belt and clipped on the NFR rodeo buckle that mom gifted to me before she died. I then made my way out of the living quarters.

Walking to the back of the trailer, I unloaded both of the horses. I gave them their morning hay while I was cooking eggs on the outside stovetop. While they were eating I sat on the camping chair and ate my food.

Once we were all finished eating I began brushing Storm and picking the dirt out of her hoofs. I tacked her up and headed towards the warm-up arena, leaving cash tied to the trailer. It was now 8:30 in the morning. The final rodeo doesn't start until 3 in the afternoon. But, I decided to run the course getting some extra practice in.

I didn't want to work her too hard so she could save her energy for later.

Storm flawlessly made her way around the first barrel and quickly made her way to the second. She turned around the second barrel a little wide but it was still perfect nonetheless. I lightly kicked her to get her going a little faster to the third. She made her way around the third perfectly and took off towards the alleyway. I couldn't help but smile. She has been doing so well recently and It seems all my training with her was paying off.

"Good girl, Storm!" I said, rubbing the length of her neck.

"14 seconds flat." A familiar voice said. I turned and my eyes locked with theirs. Carson. I smiled, feeling proud of myself and Storm. "She is getting quicker, Skylar." He said.

"I know! I'm so proud of her. Can't wait to see how she does later." I replied.

Carson followed me out of the alleyway as I made my way back to the trailer. He walked beside me while I was still riding Storm. Once we got to the trailer I tied up Storm and began un-tacking her. Carson then started to brush her while I put her tack away.

"I have a question," Carson said. I turned around to look at him and nodded. "Would you want to hang out till the next rodeo starts?" He continued. A faint smile flashed across my face. "Sure, that sounds like fun. What would you like to do?" I asked. A smirk plastered on his face. I sent a confused look his way.

"We could go eat, and possibly go for a ride." He said, sounding a little unsure. I nodded in agreement. I didn't think it was possible but his smirk became even smugger.

___________________

12:45 pm

"You're kidding!" Carson said, laughing and shoving his food into his mouth. Trying to catch my breath from laughing, I shook my head.

"I'm not! I even have the video." I said while still laughing.

Carson and I were sitting at a picnic table set up in front of the barbeque stand. We had been sitting here for a couple of hours. Telling stories, getting to know each other, eating, and laughing our asses off. I had told him about a party I went to a couple of years ago. I explained to him a video that was taken of me face-planting into the floor.

"I HAVE to see this, " Carson said, still laughing pretty hard. I pulled my phone out from my back pocket and scrolled through Snapchat trying to find it. "This is probably the reason I wasn't popular at my old school," I added, laughing.

Once I showed him the video we both started laughing even harder. I'm pretty sure he was laughing so hard that he began to cry.

"I don't think I have ever laughed that hard." He said, catching his breath. "You need to send that to me!" Carson continued. I nodded and texted it to him.