~ Chapter Seven ~

Four days later

I hadn't seen Carson since the day he stormed off. I will admit, I miss being around him. My body shuddered for a quick second as Amber traced her hand down my back, getting my attention. I trailed my eyes to meet hers. A look of sympathy painted her face.  

"You okay Sky?" I nodded and plastered a fake smile on my lips. Picking up the gray dish tote, I made my way to table three. One of my assigned tables for the night. Where a sweet old couple that I have recently become close with sat. Sharing a slice of the diners triple chocolate cake. As I made my way over they both smiled sweetly at me. 

"There is our pretty girl!" The old lady said, patting the spot next to her in the booth. I set the tote down and sat next to her. "We were just talking about you." Her husband said. 

I met the couple on one of my first shifts here at the diner. Their names are Tom and Susan. The cutest couple I have ever met. You can see the love they hold in their hearts for each other. 

"Oh yeah?" I laughed a little and began taking their dirty dishes. Susan nodded and pushed my hair behind my shoulder. "We want to introduce you to our grandson. You both would look so cute together!" She continued, slightly clapping her hands together. I awkwardly chuckled and shook my head. 

"No boys Susan, I told you this. I need to focus on my horses and my career." I stood up and continued cleaning the other tables. I felt Tom and Susan watching me. 

***

8:47 pm

"You can head home." Amber said, counting the money from the register. I turned to look at her and nodded. I walked into the break room and grabbed my bag. "Bye Lucas!" I shouted, waving goodbye to the cook in the kitchen. He waved and continued cleaning. "Have fun." I said, winking at Amber as I walked out the door. Recently I have noticed Amber and Lucas flirting during the shifts. I found it adorable. Lucas' calm personality mixed with Amber's wild, adventurous personality. They seemed perfect for each other. Now If I could get Lucas to man up and ask her out, it would be great. 

I hopped into my truck and started the engine. The radio blared as I was driving home. The song Wild as her  played as I sped down the frontage road to the house.

She'll wreck your world

And leave before the mornin' sun

But here she is free, right next to me

'Cause I ain't trying to tame her love

I keep the windows down and the wind in her hair

Keep her heart hanging on 'round every turn

She ain't scared to get tied down, scared to get burned--

The music cut off when my phone started ringing. I got a call from Carson. I hesitated but decided to answer. Putting it on the speaker of my truck I answered. 

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, with a cold tone in my voice. I heard lots of noise coming from his end. "Carson?" I said, turning down the driveway of the house. 

"Yeah she is stunning. Just wait till you see her." He spoke, seeming unaware I was on the phone. I know I should've hung up but I let my curiosity take over.

"What's her name?" An unfamiliar voice said. "Skylar Drew." Carson said, without hesitation. 

"I think I've seen her at a few rodeos." His friend said, chuckling. Carson laughed with him. "I say go for it man." His friend continued. "I don't know. I've tried but I always screw up. I feel protective of her, ya know?" Carson spoke again. "I understand that. I feel the same about Lydia." His friend laughed.