twenty-six

-

-

As the moons turned, she had given birth to her third child. It was a boy who perplexed all of the maester's as well as the Queen.

In Daellas arms as she sat in front of the fire was her son. He was named, Vaegon, and he held the purple eyes of his father. But he as well held the brown hair of his mother.

When he was placed in her arms, she felt overjoyed and sent forth a raven to her mother. She knew that her brother Jace would be amused when he found out.

But next to her doing her typical daily embroidery was Helaena. The Queen had set Helaena to marry, but that would not come for months.

Daella had found any way she could to keep her Helaena beside her. "What are you sewing?" She asked, moving the baby to face Helaena.

He was on her knee and babbling with a smile as his eyes watched Helaena. Daella smiled as Helaena looked up, giving the child a small smile and replying, "It is for him. I shall not tell until his nameday."

Daella rolled her eyes as she held the child to her hip and stood. She made her over as Helaena covered it. Using her free hand, she placed it on Helaena's shoulder, giving it a rub.

"I will pass him to Gyda, and we can go for a walk." Helaena smiled, looking up at her and nodding. "I will return this to my chambers and meet you."

Daella gave her one last smile before leaving her quarters. She made her way through the corridors trying to find her maid.

Gyda was new but was heavily trained by Annalie. Annalie was older now with gray hair and had brought Gyda under her wing.

She now had another she could trust in the walls. Gyda was like her little spy to know what the Queen was doing or saying.

"Oh, Princess!" Gyda shouted before hurrying over to her.

"He needs to be fed. Could you take him to the wet nurse?" She asked Gyda, who smiled as the baby reached out for her.

"Of course, right away, Princess." She told her taking the baby that was passed to her. Daella smiled as Gyda cradled the baby to her shoulder before hurrying away.

She sighed, clasping her hands in front of her and turning away. She smiled to herself as she made her way to Helaena's quarters.

The Princess was waiting, fiddling with her fingers. Daella hurried over, taking Helaena's hands in hers, "Shall we?

They both walked through the corridors hand in hand. "Mother spoke to me of another prince," Helaena whispered, knowing how Daella would react.

"I know." Daella replied before leaning to Helaena and whispering, "I have ears everywhere."

Helaena smiled softly as the words made her feel safe. Daella returned to stand straight as they entered the gardens.

"I sent my guard into town the other night." Helaena stopped and took Daella's forearms into hers. "Why?" She asked worriedly as she looked at Daella.

"I am fine. I heard from Gyda that a new bug came from Essos." Daella tells her as Helaenas face held an excited smile.

"Is it a Manticore!" She asks excitedly, making Daella smile softly. "Would you like to see it?" Helaena nods vigorously as Daella sighs.

"You will be disappointed. It is not alive anymore." Daella tells her as they walk back toward her chambers.

Helaena shakes her head as she grabs Daella's arm replying, "That is perfect so that when I show Aenys, it won't hurt him. Manticores are known to be very poisonous."

Daella smiles as she watches Helaena enter her quarters. She wiped her hands down on her dress, wondering how they became clammy.

-