FORTY-TWO

-

-

It had been two weeks since they had found out about her brother. Her mother had left days ago in search of his body, leaving Daella and Helaena on Dragonstone. "Daemon is right, and we should just go and kill them," Daella says as she sits in front of the fire of her chambers.

Beside her on the sofa was Helaena, doing her normal embroidery while the children played before them. "I assure you, my firefly. Your mother will know the best course of action." Helaena whispers as Daella pushes herself up to stand.

"He is out there without possible remorse," Daella says, turning to Helaena, who placed down her embroidery. She stood, took a step, and then gently embraced Daella.

Daella felt it all come out again as she let out a sob. "Trust your mother. They will strike when there is need." Helaena whispers before pulling away with her hands still on Daellas arms.

"I should have gone with her," Daella whispers as they return to the sofa. "Jace should be back soon. Then, you all shall be comforted." Helaena says, causing Daella to nod as she thinks of her twin.

"I could have gone with them if we had come sooner," Daella says as she looks at her children. "Why don't we go and see Vaegon," Helaena says as she stands, taking Daella's hand.

The two stood and walked toward the crib, where he had grown bigger yet had no dragon egg. There were other matters than her son having one. If anything were to happen, the egg could not save him or help.

She smiled as he looked up at her with bright eyes. She lifted him into her arms as she walked toward the balcony. "If only there were a garden." She said gently, rocking him in her arms.

"Mayhaps we could make one in our chambers," Helaena whispered, standing beside her. "We could ask Aemma and Aenys about the flowers they wish to see." Daella says with a smile as she calms down.

They stood around talking until returning to the sofa. The door to their chambers opened as her mother entered wearing a new dress, and her hair was up and out of her face. "Mother!" She whispered, handing Vaegon to Helaena.

Daella stood quickly, hurrying to her mother, who welcomed her into her open arms. "Have you found him?" Daella whispered as she clung to her mother, who held her tightly.

She felt her mother nod from her shoulder, causing them to hold each other closer. "Jace should be here soon," Rhaenyra tells her daughter as they hold arms and each other.

"I believe he should like to see you." Her mother says, causing Daella to nod. The two looked behind Daella to Helaena, who gave a soft nod.

Mother and Daughter, holding each other's arms, walked to the mother's chambers, where they would wait until Jace had arrived.

As they entered Rhaenyras's chambers, Daella sat on the sofa as her mother sat in her chair. "Helaena and I have thought of making a garden in our chambers for the children," Daella said, attempting to lift her mother's spirits.

Rhaenyra looked at her daughter, putting on a small, soft smile and nodding. "When this is over, my grandchildren shall have the grandest garden. Anywhere of their choice." She smiled at her mother's words as they heard the doors gently open.

They both turned to look as Jace walked in with Baela at his side. He made eye contact with his sister, and they shared a look before he turned to their mother.

-