Chapter 6

The moon illuminates the snowy wasteland. It was a long day for both Amie and Colt. They are now heading home to rest. As they approach the camp, they are met with an unpleasant face. It was the man who gave Colt the job earlier. He seemed to be waiting for Colt.

-"I've heard you finished the job, Colt." The man said. -"Yes.. How did you know?" Colt asked but he didn't get an answer. The man handed Colt a case without saying a word. The case was filled with money. It wasn't much but it was enough for sustaining life. -"I have a new job for you. It pays double but comes with double the risk." The man offered. Colt nodded. -"Give me the details."

The man and Colt talked about the work but Amie wasn't very interested. She was thinking about what happened earlier. Amie heard a familiar voice calling her name. -"Amie.. Earth calls Amie." -"H-Huh? Oh I... I was lost in thought." Amie finally answered. She seemed troubled. "W-Where did the man go?" Amie asked. -"He left a few minutes ago. Let's go. It's getting late." Colt started walking in the door's direction. They went inside and rested for the day. The next morning Colt was getting ready for a small trip to the town of rusted walls. As soon as Amie woke up they headed to town.

A pool of fresh blood. It's trail seems to lead to Colt and Amie. Colt saw a deer on the way and thought he could make good use out of it. He asked Amie to shoot it for practice but for some reason she was unable to pull the trigger. In the end Colt took out his weapon and shot the deer. He then picket it up on his shoulders and continued on his way to the town. Amie stopped by the pool of blood before running after Colt.

-"Why are we coming to the town anyway?" Amie asked. Colt looked over his shoulder and answered her question. -"Just to pass the time 'till dawn. Thought we could hit up the bar. Don't worry no whiskey this time." As they walked they got closer and closer to Rust Town. They walked inside through the gate. Colt gave the deer to a chef to make something great out of it for them. After that quick stop they headed to Liam's market. -"Hey there Colt and mysterious girl!" Liam greeted them. Colt and Amie waved at him. -"Hey look around and take something you'd like." Colt said to Amie. -"Y-You're sure?" She asked and Colt just nodded. Amie happily searched through the shop.

-"Hey, Colt. I don't know about you but I wouldn't trust that shady guy.." Liam said out of the blue. -"The travelling merchant? How do you know about him?" Colt asked. -"I've got connections." Liam winked. -"Connections eh?" Colt grinned. Liam slid a note under Colt's palm and he whispered to him. -"Only use it when you're in trouble." On the paper were coordinates. Colt checked the piece of paper, then he nodded and put the note away.

Amie walked up to the counter with a puppy in her hands and a smile on her face. -"Can we please buy her?" She begged. Liam looked confused as he doesn't recall selling dogs. -"Will you be able to take care of it?" -"Of course! Please?" Said Amie. Colt turned to Liam. -"How much for the little guy?" Colt reached for his money but Liam stopped him. -"I don't sell dogs here. He must've slipped in when I wasn't looking. You can take her. I don't like dogs anyway.." Liam said and reached under the counter for a box. He put a collar and a leash on the counter top. Amie's eyes were sparkling from happinesse. -"So what will you call her?" Colt asked. Amie thought for a second. -"Hmm... I will call her Laylah!" Said Amie as she petted the dog.

They went back to the chef. They had a feast, the dog too. The three were waiting for nightfall.