13: Consumed By You

ADALIND

I don't know what I had imagined at the prospect of riding a wolf. I guess I thought it would be similar to riding a dragon, but it is absolutely not the same. It's so much worse. Or better. I don't know.

What I do know is that my thighs are flush against muscular fur and the contours of his body are pressing against certain parts of mine. Every movement of his legs which are darting with impossible speed is sending waves of distilled pleasure to my core. My hands grip tufts of hair. The green lands around us blur. I can't understand how they can see where they are going; they're so quick.

Fuck.

I feel warmth crawl up my stomach. What is that?

The pace slows and I can't thank the Gods enough. There is no one in their human form except for me. I realize as they come near a stream that they are thirsty. I swing myself off him as fast as I can. He doesn't seem to mind and goes directly to drink. As the wolves gulp, I look up at the sun that seems to have almost begun setting. We aren't even out of my territory yet.

Looking back at the wolves, I realize they are watching me, asking me if we can continue. "We are still in my House. We have a few more hours until we reach the border and we should camp out there."

I hop back onto Goliath. They start off slower. Xerxes comes towards us and cocks his head slightly as if asking something. I don't know what, honestly. So I just talk. "We must be careful when night falls once we leave my lands. There are creatures you have never seen before in the other Houses."

Goliath's steps hesitate just for a second.

I continue: "House Gemini are...great orators. The love stories. Writing them, retelling them, creating them. They love to teach. But each House has their faults, their concerns, their...creatures."

All of them stop and I could swear their faces are saying no, really, you have faults, sarcastically.

"Yes," I admit. "Even my house has our issues. House Capricornius are the healers. They love medicinal innovation. I am sure we can all see how that can lead to issues."

I am silenced as they pick up speed and race through the gardens once again. Within two hours I see the wall that separates my lands from House Gemini. The wolves slow. It's a good thing too because the sun is starting to set.

As I stand beside Goliath, I feel his head push against my legs, pushing me further from the group. "What are you doing?" He growls, and I huff in response. I attempt to turn around but he continues to push my legs, turning me around. I roll my eyes but listen, turning to face where we came from.

"What are you known for then?"

I know it's Xerxes who is speaking and by how much he raises his voice, it's a question directed at me. I take it as my cue to turn. "My House?"

Xerxes nods. He's completely clothed already as is everyone else. "Light," I respond. "Empathy. Warmth."

"And your faults?"

Rosalie asks me this. I wonder if I should answer. I choose not to. "What type of leader would I be if I gave away my weaknesses?"

The truth was, my people were not fighters. We ran away from war. We grew weary from blood and gore. We were not aggressive. And while my army existed and was sizable, it did not compare to that of the wolves. This was why I had enlisted the services of moradarthians. And now, with a wolf mate, I can assume the universe had given me him to ensure the protection of my people.

I ruined what the universe had given me.

My eyes wonder to Xerxes again and I wonder what he had seen in his time. He was around the same age as Demise, and while he did not rule over the lycanthrope kingdom, he ruled over the strongest portion of it. Everyone knew that Xerxes' land produced the strongest fighters and economic efficiency.