26: Ten Thousand and Four

TRIGGER WARNINGS

- Sexual Assault

- Abuse

If you are okay with these triggers, please read on and skip this next part of the trigger warning. If you are uncomfortable with these triggers, here is a synopsis of the chapter:

SPOILERS:

After being taken by Ophir, Nyx comes to visit Adalind. He explains how he had manipulated Demise's mind into betraying her so that they could have his power and goliath's to once and for all beat Ophir. When asked why he cares so much even though he's dying, he explains that he wants his House to persevere and stay strong. He asks Adalind to promise him she will take over the nyght court after his death.

We learn shortly after that Nyx had gone to Goliath prior to staying with Adalind and that Goliath is on his way to her. We learn that Goliath beat the shit out of Nyx which has progressed his death, ultimately Goliath signed his death. When asked why he chose to stay with her as he is dying, Nyx admits that he is attracted to her luminosity and brilliance only after she promises to tell him about what happened while Ophir had her.

After explaining her trauma, she begins to lose it and breaks down. Nyx sends a vision of Goliath to her and it calms her down. But that vision of her mate triggers her heat. In a final vow to protect her, Nyx summons a barrier around her, blocking out her heat from others knowing. But it isn't long until he becomes too weak, stills, and that protection fails.

ADALIND

I am back and it's strange to me that some sort of resiliency has stopped me from taking my own life. But I am back in the same wet, cold cell in the same scandalous gown, cuffs, collar, and bruises. I am nothing more than a pathetic woman. A whore.

I've tried so hard for so long to be better. To protect my people. I failed. I'm still failing.

I realized long ago that I was once again in the House of Nyght. Now, however, instead of pervasive darkness, there are moons in the sky and stars that light up this world. I feel my body longing for the day. Nyx was working with him all along, and I hate myself, because how could I be such a fool to work with the other Regents to gather the keys?

I can feel the air around me darken and ripple as its father steps from the darkness of my cell. He's as brilliantly handsome as ever, wearing a star-encircled crown on his dark hair. I take one look at him and then look out the window again.

"I'm dying," he says. His voice is so chilling it makes the hair on my skin stand up.

"Good."

He doesn't seem insulted. He stuffs his hands into his pockets and leans against the stone wall. He's lithe and cracks his neck before speaking again. "You have done everything to protect your people."

I say nothing.

"And my people cannot continue on without a Regent."

My brows furrow. I remove my legs from underneath me and gaze at him with hatred. "What, Nyx?"

"You're a good Regent, Adalind. How would you feel about ruling the Nyght House?"

I shake my head. "I'm your captive, and you expect me to believe that you want me to rule in your stead?"

"It's a long story," he says. His gaze lifts to the ceiling of the cell before settling back toward the ground. "Goliath loves you."

"Don't talk about him."