Night Encounters

-Andrew Peterson-

"What are you doing in here?" She exclaimed as he came in holding a box in his hand. The side of it reading 'The Game of Life: Supernatural'. "Seriously?" She found herself giggling, her face feeling warm. He wore a black pair of sweats too long for his legs and a Guns N' Roses t-shirt. A goofy smile across his face.

"Did you just giggle?" He gasped teasingly.

"Are you up past eight o'clock?" She glanced out the window momentarily. The ghost of eyes crawling across her skin. Her hair stood up on the back of her neck. Squinting harder out the window she thought she saw movement in the trees.

"Since we're dating now, I thought I could attempt to stay up later." He laughed nervously pulling her attention from outside.

"We aren't dating." She pointed at him knowingly. "I'm going to get changed. Leave if you don't want to watch. Stay if you don't care." She stood up out of the bed, slipping out of her day clothes into a tank top and her favorite pair of black joggers.

When she turned to get back in bed Matt still stood at the door. His jaw was slack and his eyes wide as he stared at her. A blush ran up her cheeks, "What?" She blushed slightly, changing the subject quickly. "Are we going to play?" She asked. Matt shook his head with a laugh, settling onto the bed.

"Help me set this up so we can get started." Matt started opening the box and pulling out the pieces. She settled across from him trying to help set everything up.

"I'm going to be the vampire!" She grabbed the red car with fangs attached to the front. While she waited for Matt to pick his car she wrapped her blanket around her shoulders and settled further into the bed.

"Spin to see who goes first." Matt laid out across from her, settling himself and spinning the wheel.

"Ha! I got a nine!" She stated proudly, her hands on her hips.

"You always go first. I should've known." He exclaimed with mock annoyance.

The game lasted for over an hour. She would win, she almost always won when playing Matt. He had twelve tiles till retirement and she had five. The pressure was on. Matt spun the wheel and it stopped on an eight. It was her turn now. She reached for the wheel and spun. It landed on a clean five and before she could exclaim Matt was tossing the board off the bed.

"Ha! I win! I win! I win!" She jumped up laughing. "I can't believe you just did that!" She fell back onto her pillow still laughing. Her arms spreading out on either side of her, trying to catch her breath. It took several moments until she sat back up, facing Matt who had a grin on his face. "Do you like me? Or were you just joking when you talked about the whole dating thing?" Matt was four years older than her but that shouldn't stop her from pursuing the idea.

"I was joking." He hesitated before continuing. "But I had hoped it might be real." Her eyes grew large as she tried to maintain eye contact despite her embarrassment. He was watching her reaction, his head propped up on his elbow. But then he moved, pushing closer to her and she could tell. It was like the moments in the movies.

He was going to lean in and they would kiss. Was this something she wanted? Something she wanted to go through with? It could change their friendship forever. She couldn't allow it. "I have to pee." She excused herself quickly, trying to ignore the sigh she heard from Matt as the bathroom door shut behind her.

Her chest heaved as she leaned against the sink. She didn't have feelings for him. It was just the moment. Nothing else could explain what just happened. She splashed water in her face, scolding herself for asking such a dumb question. If she didn't have feelings for him she shouldn't have asked such a question.