Old Ties

-Andrew Peterson-

"What should I do?" She spoke into the phone. It'd been a week since Jake's outburst in the bedroom. He still hadn't taken the opportunity to speak with her about what had happened.

"I believe you should cut all old ties. Say goodbye to your old life. You continue to refer to yourself as a hunter. He worries because in your human form you're strong but as a werewolf you don't know your strengths and weaknesses. Someone could hurt you if you don't know what you're doing." Her father was speaking on the other line.

She was still getting used to calling him dad, especially considering when she did memories of her dead father surfaced. "Be patient with him, he'll come around. I'm sure of it. As for cutting old ties, go to your old clan, say goodbye. Officially move out. Try to tell Matt what you know. He hadn't come into his skin, but he's a werewolf. Maybe you should attempt to invite him to your pack? I don't know how Jake feels about adding new members. I'll keep looking into the whereabouts of your uncle, I don't think he knows Matt is even alive, as well as Matt doesn't know his father exists."

She took a few quiet moments to think. Matt hadn't ever really known his parents. "Yeah...I'll find a way to talk to him. I'll have to go to him; no way Jake would allow me to bring him into our territory if he hasn't shifted. I'm also no ready to tell him about all of this." She could hear the sigh through the phone.

"Don't keep secrets from your mate. I won't tell you how to live your life, just trying to give advice." There was a loud noise from the other side of the phone, she had to pull it away for a moment. "Secrets will make Jake suspicious and he'll want to talk to you even less if he doesn't feel he can trust you." Another bang and yelling from Greg. "I have to go; the twins are getting into things and it's driving Delaney nuts. It was good to talk to you, honey."

"Bye dad. Good luck with the boys." Then the line went dead. She sighed, putting the phone on the side table as Jake walked in.

A smile grew on his face the moment his eyes met her. "Hey, babe." He leaned down to kiss her. He was dressed in basketball shorts and a sleeveless top, sweat dripping from his forehead. "I wasn't expecting to see you up this early. Is something wrong?"

"I'm thinking about going out for a bit. I need to...see someone." She leaned back into the couch she was sitting on in their room. He sat down next to her, leaning back next to her, a hand going to her thigh.

His eyes showed understanding. He planted a kiss on her temple, "Want to talk about it?" She knew he wouldn't get mad if she told him it was Matt she was going to see.

"Not yet. I'll tell you about it when I get back. I shouldn't be gone for too long, okay?" She ran a hand through his sweaty hair, smiling at him.

"Just be careful. I can send someone with you if you need?" He moved closer and she could feel his breath against her cheek, goosebumps growing up her arms and legs.

"There's no need. I should do this alone." He stood from the couch and she followed as he headed for the bathroom.

"As long as you're back home in bed with me tonight, be safe." She found herself headed for the closet, pulling on some running clothes. The same ones she'd worn almost two months ago when meeting Jake. Now she was going to meet Matt. Arms wrapped around her waist from behind her. "I love you." He whispered to her as the tingling in her stomach intensified.

He lifted the front of her shirt and pressed his fingers against her skin. The skin on skin contact sent the hairs up on her neck. His upper arm brushed against her arm and a shiver went down her spine.