The Truth Hurts

-Andrew Peterson-

She hurts still, everywhere. Lying wide awake in bed, staring at the ceiling. Next to Jake she couldn't find peace, her bones ached like hell. While she'd shifted, all her bones had broken. The muscled under her skin changed and every time she thought about it and she cringed further under the blankets. She'd only spoken to Jake the one time since they'd found her. To tell him she'd shifted.

Every ounce of her body felt vulnerable right now. She was scared, her life was changing drastically since finding out Jake was her mate. All she could do was stand back and watch it happen. She rolled onto her side to see Jake. His face was peaceful in sleep and she thought he was handsome. His eyelashes resting softly on his cheek, the crook of his nose. After everything she'd said to him, all the horrible things she'd yelled. He'd still come for her, to save her.

She took him in, breathing heavily as her chest felt like it was expanding. He was beautiful in the moonlight. She never wanted to stop watching him. Reaching out to touch his face. Her hand shook as she rested her palm against his cheek.

His eyelids fluttered and then opened. His head turning to look at her. A smile growing across his lips as he looked down at her with sleepy eyes. "Hey." He grumbled out, turning to his side so his whole body faced her. "Everything alright?"

She nodded her head, "I can't sleep." His eyes held understanding, pulling her into his arms, her ear resting against his chest.

"You should try to sleep. I'm sure you're exhausted." His hand petting her hair, trying to get her to relax and it worked. The sound of his heart beating against her ear. It was relaxing. She thought she heard him mumbled something before his breathing slowed again and she realized he was asleep. She waited five or so minutes before slipping out of his arms. Her legs screamed at her as she stood out of bed. The clothes she'd been provided with hung low on her, clearly for someone taller than herself.

She felt something deep within her mind awakening and she didn't know what. She quietly made her way out of the room, shutting the door behind her. Occasionally she'd hear a voice telling her what to do. Turn left. It told her, and she did at the next hallway she turned left.

She continued past several doorways in the lightly lit hallway. Framed photos started lining the walls. Some photos were headshots, showcasing a single person. Several photos were families photos, a woman, four children, and a man she recognized as the clan Alpha. When she saw his face something of recognition shot through her. Somehow, she knew him, but she had no clue how. He felt so familiar. When he'd met them at the border earlier that day she couldn't stop glancing at him to try to figure it out. Some of the photos were taken in the moment, the children playing or doing clan things. Learning to hunt and other things.

Pain shot up her leg and she reached down and grabbed her foot. "Fuck." The word slipped out her mouth as she realized she'd stubbed her toe on a stair. As she tried to balance on her one leg she falls forward, her hand slipping, and her chin smacked against the same bottom step. Her lip falling in between her teeth, now bleeding. She could feel it quickly healing, trying to regain her balance as she stood.

Once the pain receded from her toe she started up the stairs in curiosity. The photographs continued up the stairs, along the wall. Curiosity wanted her to see them all.

"May I ask what you're doing?" A man's calm but curious voice caused her to jump.

"Sorry. I was just looking at the pictures." She turned to see him at the top of the stairs and smiled. He was the man who'd taken them in. The Alpha of this territory. He looked strangely familiar. His face seemed oddly familiar, one she'd seen before.