She Just Stared

A/N: Jake's image above.

-Jake Holmes-

"Jake!" His name was bellowed through the house followed by loud footsteps. "What have I told you about going out when you have the responsibilities of the entire clan on your shoulders! Instead your mother was up all night to cover your ass." His father scolded.

"Dad it was just a little fun with the boys. Relax. I never go out that much anymore." Jake fought back, his mother coming to stand beside him, bags under her eyes.

"This isn't the first time, but it will definitely be the last. Do you understand me? You become the Alpha of this pack in three weeks when you turn twenty-one. You don't have a mate so the least you can do is be present!" He was angry all the time now-a-days, yelling at Jake every moment he could for even the smallest things.

"Ethan!" His mother tried to sooth the bristling man. "You didn't find me until after your coming of age. Give the boy a break." She defended Jake and gave Ethan a loving touch on the arm. Trying to bring him down off his rampage.

"You're defending him after you were the one up all night doing his work?" He turned on her with wide eyes, but she wasn't afraid. In fact, she looked angrier than he did now.

"I am the Luna of this pack. You will not speak with me in that tone of voice." She demanded and turned with a huff to walk away. Ethan huffed, realizing he'd taken his anger for Jake out on his own mate.

"This isn't over." He jabbed a finger at a grinning Jake. For today he knew it would be over. Then he was out of the room, running to the woods to escape. All he'd done was go after dark hunting with some of the other guys in the pack. It hadn't been life threatening in any way. The territory was five hundred acres of land for the pack to live on. Plenty of space for hunting. Though they had gone outside the territory that night, none of the scouts or border patrols had seen them. They'd all be careful.

He ran, fast to get as far from his home as he could. Through the trees to get out of sight of his father. No matter how much he hated it, his father was right. He should have been home finishing the last of his paperwork before going out. It was his responsibility. On the same token he only had three weeks left of real freedom. Of the opportunity to get away with things like this. Once he was Alpha there would be no more fun and games.

As he ran through the forest, his paws hitting against the ground, his legs stretching, he passed the territory line. Marked by the red flags in the ground. That didn't stop him as he pushed further and harder than he ever had before. It was only him now. No protection from the pack could help him in no man's land. The stretch of five miles not owned by the hunting clan or the werewolf pack.

He didn't take any precautions as he ran. That was until he ran right over an unfamiliar border line. Everything immediately smelt different. Red flags tied to the trees let him know of the mistake he'd made. He was now in hunter territory. Before he could make the decision to leave an arrow shot past his ear, barely nicking the skin. With a snarl he started back over the line. That'd been a warning shot and he knew it.

If he'd stayed any longer the next shot would've been more lethal. Back in no man's land he started for the lake nearby. A mile or two off the hunter's property. He looked down into the water to check his reflection, to make sure his ear had healed fine. Once he'd assessed the damage wouldn't affect his human form he shifts, laying out beside the lake. Closing his eyes to get some rest in the peace and quiet of the outdoors.

Get home now! He heard the voice of his father's reach his through the werewolf link the pack shared. He shut him out, closing his mind to communication while he drifted off to sleep. He wasn't sure what time it was when he next heard voice. A whisper up the hill in the trees.