One of Them

-Jake Holmes-

Andrew! He yelled into her mind, but he wasn't sure she was even open to him. He had no way of knowing she'd gotten his message. She'd never heard him talking to her before so why would she now? He finally pulled himself up out of the grass, heartbroken. Had she really said those things to him? 'What if I didn't want to be yours?' The question rang in his head like a slap to the face. He'd crossed a line marking her. What had come over him this morning? It felt like a dream.

Waking up next to her, surrounded by her scent to wake him from his dreams. Everything about it was perfect. He should've never gotten out of bed, maybe then it still could be like that. His arms around her, kissing and cuddling and smiling. That was all he wanted. Then he remembered the way he'd felt last night, the other guys looking at her greedily, on top of the way he'd felt seeing her kissing Matt. His wolf had taken over this morning, wanting to claim her so he no longer had to worry about anyone else touching her. All he could do was ask for forgiveness, the feeling of wanting her had pulled him into the darkness.

His wolf reveled in the whimpers she'd made as his teeth had sunk into her neck. Her hips pressing against his and the smile on her face when she'd seen the mark. The swell in his chest knowing it was one of a kind. It was a mark that made her his. He'd wanted to do it again there in the bathroom, mark her again. But he'd been able to control it that time.

He'd promised her time and now he'd taken that away from her. All because he'd lost control. He couldn't do that again. Even if he had marked her, he'd give her time. He'd wait for her to come around to the idea. She'd have to eventually. He'd win her over.

Much of the rest of his day was filled with meetings with his father and some of the elders of the pack. Preparing for Jake to take over as Alpha full time. The sound of thunder and lightning crashed outside and soon after it started he heard the rain. He felt numb through most of the meetings. His mind searching for hints of her. Possibly even a tug of her emotions but he was met with silence. His father sat across from him, on the other side of the oval-like table, his mother next to his father. Though she seemed more interested in ogling her husband than she did what was being talked about. Many of the other higher-up pack members sat between them on either side of the table.

He'd already spent several hours in this room, trying to keep up and give his opinion on matters when asked but it was hard. Usually it was easier to keep up than this, usually he was interested in being involved. That was when it happened. The intensity of the overwhelming pain and sorrow and fear he felt had him on his feet clutching his chest. His shirt bunching in his fist. He could feel her. Then he could hear her. Please come help me. She begged into his mind and then he was shut off. Left clutching his shirt, sweating while trying to catch his breath. He had to lean into the table to steady himself.

He looked up to see all the attention was on him. His father wore a grim look on his face while his mother was highly concerned. "Do you have something to say, Jake?" Ethan ground out, clearly displeased with the display.

"Are you alright?" Alexa questioned when he didn't respond right away. "Do you need to go lay down?" She was standing to come to his side, but Ethan refused to let go of her hand.

"I need to go." Jake watched as his mother's eyes widened in even more concern. She turned, putting a tentative hand on Ethan.

"Wha- Why" His father sputtered out.

"It's Andrew." He started for the door but could hear his father's protest even as the door shut.

"Hell no! You will not leave this important meeting for that traitor you call a mate!" He shouted after Jake. He considered going back and ripping his father's throat out but that wouldn't help anything. The moment he was out the front door he was jumping off the porch and shifting mid-jump. He didn't wait for anyone to offer help and he didn't ask for it. He needed to find her, so he started where he'd last seen her. Quickly her scent filled his nose and he felt his legs turn to jelly, pushing himself forward. In this rain it was very possible her scent could get washed away. He needed to move quickly.