Friend

In this story, Hero is 19 and Polly is 21.

________________________________________________________________________________

Polly continued speaking, "I know Hero offered to help you with your garden! Maybe he could come over?"

Basil bit his tongue, trying to keep tears in, and did so successfully although he could feel the hot tears in his eyes.

Then he remembered Hero would be bringing over the gardening shears. 

Basil nodded, not trusting his voice.

Polly helped him up from his place on the ground, and he quickly got ready so Hero could come over and help him in his garden... and bring over his means of suicide.

Hero did come over, just before lunch, to help Polly make food. 

Basil noticed a sort of spark in his eyes as he helped his caretaker cook. He seemed happy, which was good, because Hero wore a smile well.

Polly agreed.

"You must really like cooking?" Polly said to Hero.

Basil was a bit jealous that Polly and Hero were talking to each other and not to him.

But that didn't matter.

He would have Sunny in heaven.

Or hell.

But whichever one he would be in, Sunny would be in as well, which was a reassuring thought to Basil. 

Hero nodded as he began setting the table. "Yeah, I really do. I originally wanted to become a chef... but I decided to go to college to become a doctor."

Polly smiled , bringing out the food. "So you're handsome, good at cooking, a nice talker, and smart?"

"I don't know if I would say I'm handsome..." Hero blushed slightly.

Polly just smiled at him in a way that showed she strongly disagreed.

When lunch was over, the two boys went out to the garden.