Hospital bills

The ambulances arrived while the tears were still wet on their faces. 

It may have been stupid to call 911, as they both knew Basil was dead, and hospital bills were expensive, but they didn't know what else to do. What else could they do? Call an Uber to take Basil to wherever the hell dead people go?

Absolutely not. 

So here they were, still standing in the bathroom where Basil had committed suicide, the tears and blood still wet, sirens roaring, the flashing red lights visible through the small window in the bathroom. 

The paramedics came into the bathroom. 

"He's already dead... I just didn't know what to do." Hero said, knowing Polly wasn't able to speak right now.

"I know honey. you told us when you called us." one of the workers said, a hint of sympathy in her voice, the kind all doctors had, the kind Hero knew too well.

"Right." He said, nodding, feeling lost and unsure of what to do.

What was he to do when one of his friends, the boy he had cared for like a child was dead beside him?

The paramedics took Basil's body away, and drove off, the sirens and lights no longer on.

"You go... I don't know. Tell people? I'll clean the bathroom." Hero told Polly.

He knew it would be hard to tell people Basil had commited suicide, but he also knew it would be much harder for her to clean up the blood of the boy she had taken care of for nearly four years, the boy she had basically become the mother of. It would hurt her too much, and Hero didn't want that.

She nodded her head. "Thank you." She told him, a couple more tears leaking from her eyes, then quickly scurried out of the bathroom, away from the scene of the crime, and to the phone.

Hero, on the other hand, grabbed a clean sponge from under the sink. It just felt better to use a clean sponge, Basil deserved that. 

He wiped up the blood, then disinfected the floor and wall, then sprayed lysol so it would smell better.

The lysol smelled like flowers, it smelled like Basil's flowers, it smelled like Basil.

The grief was overwhelming.

It was Hero's own fault Basil had died, he should've been paying more attention, he shouldn't have left Basil alone.

There was an uncountable amount of things Hero wished he could've done, things he should've done, but didn't. Reasons why Basil was dead.

(406 words)