Entry 5: The First of the Flames

After many years of using my Eros to strengthen the bonds attached to Acrasia and the Crown, civil unrest began to spread across Sanguinaire 818. This unrest began roughly 2 years before I left Acrasias' keep, although at the time we merely saw it as something that would come and pass. We were wrong; so very wrong. The Madame, unable to contain her disdain for the blatant debauchery and heresy of the crown, set out to regain the throne she had set aside years before. Although she had abdicated in pursuit of a simpler and virtuous life, she was still the first born and, should the Queen die and should the Madame have proper support, she could easily claim it back. The first strategic moves she set in motion came in the form of propaganda "exposing" the reigning class' secrets. In all actuality, only those who shared the Queen's extreme beliefs gave credence to the blatant lies. But the propaganda did succeed in pinpointing factions of dissenters whose feelings mirrored that of the Madame. It also found many who were willing to claim religious extremism to hide their true motivations for hating the Crown.

Within the many pages of propaganda that circulated across S818, one could find major themes of protest from the Madame and her followers of Righteousness. The Queen had used the money gained through her tributes to build an excessively extravagant Sanctuary for those escaping from other, darker places to find the freedom that was offered on S818. They were granted liberation and given the rights of the lowest class. This would ultimately support agriculture, fuel the wealth of the crown, and further diversify life on S818. However, with Liberation came fear of change and questions of what freedom should look like for those who were slaves; slaves like myself. Even with my power as Acrasia's second in command, I was only afforded the rights of a slave beyond the Keep's walls. The Madame believed that it was a divine purpose to live life as a slave. We had been born and created with a sacred purpose and to dissent from slavery was to dissent from all that was holy.

The Queen and her followers did not inherently agree with slavery but, rather, spouted fear of what would happen should the slaves all receive freedom. It was believed that there would be chaos and uprisings as slaves could not know how to live civilized life on S818. They were created and conditioned to live a certain way and they could not handle anything beyond that. However, those in power also recognized that slaves brought prosperity to the planet by creating a luxury merchandise market; the luxury being people. The selling and buying of people boosted the economy and opened up those interested in the merchandise to create wealth through investments and move up through the classes. Creating a market with multiple subsets of specialties required a massive force of slaves. I, as a child of 12, had been in the category of "Potentiel Infini". I was taken from the nursery planet with a special concoction to allow me to age so as to fit the mold required of me. The Madame was able to mold me to meet her needs and I learned well. I stopped taking the concoction 10 years after leaving the nursery. There were other subsets of merchandise based on the needs they filled on S818. Depending on this need, they were taken from the nursery planet at the age required and programmed with the skills needed. Different markets included household servants, sexual servitude, military, and, of course, the largest market was labor.

The Sanctuary also brought up discussions on how the Crown spent the tributes when the Queen herself could have used her own wealth to build the thriftless Sanctuary without dipping into the wealth of the people. In fact, the crown was using the 1st and middle class tributes to portray an abundance of wealth within the Crown to showcase their strength and security in all possible ways. In reality, the strength of the crown came from the "unholy" and "calculating" power of Régine Acrasia. For these reasons, the wealth, according to The Madame and her followers, should belong in the hands of the people who could use it to lead pious lives without the parasol of sin that covered S818. The Crown that was slowly leading its people to a life of degeneracy and sin.

Small uprisings began over the country but the Queen and Acrasia's family were able to dispel them quickly...at first. However, it was clear that something was brewing on the horizon and it would take added reinforcements to truly stop the growing power of the Madame.