i. missing dreams

chapter one

chapter one.

( missing dreams )

Her eyebrows lifted, the back of her neck tingling sharply as she looked over her shoulder at the sudden bright light - and the rumbling that followed. The horizon was alight with a fire not unlike the rising sun. She blinked once, twice, then spun on her shiny heel, dupatta flapping in the coming breeze. The dust and gravel crunched with every step she took toward the venue.

"Hurry up, Samaira." Nirmala's voice rang from inside, breaking the girl's trance.

Samaira loved the sky. And everything that came with it. The teenager nodded, adjusting her dupatta, and followed her mother, who had a tired look on her face due to the massive amount of pressure for the wedding preparations.

"I'll carry those," she said with a smile and picked up about a dozen mehendi cones from the table. She arranged them on a plate and began walking beside her mother.

"I really can't wait to get home." the older woman huffed, setting down the bride's heavy wedding outfit on the bed with a sigh. Samaira looked at the lehenga with wide eyes, it looked weighty. She couldn't imagine what wearing it would feel like.

"Come on ma, we love Nanda Di," the girl said with a playful grin while her mother shrugged.

(Di is the Hindi word for sister.)

"We do but this is just tiring. Besides, Nanda doesn't even want to marry right now, she literally just wants to study." her mother said with an eye roll as she began doodling some random mehendi patterns on a paper.