Advice

Gardens of Maegor's Holdfast, Maegor's Holdfast

112 AC

"You wanted to talk to me, niece?" Rhaena asked.

"I am now Princess of Dragonstone, and I don't know how to play the game. Could you help me until I can stand on my own two feet?" Rhaenyra asked her aunt.

Rhaena blinked. "Very well. First, you need Ladies in Waiting. One from each of the Great Houses—Stark, Arryn, Baratheon, Lannister, Tully, and Tyrell. A girl from the richer houses as well, so Redwyne, Velaryon, Manderly, and Reyne. I would suggest prominent major houses as well, such as Royce, Florent, Strong, Redfort, and Celtigar."

"That's good. What about Alicent?"

"Oh, she's been staying up late with your father in her mother's gowns." the Princess of Dragonfire said casually. Then she froze, realizing what she had said.

Rhaenyra had a look of complete and utter betrayal on her face.

The Red Keep, King's Landing

112 AC

Alicent and Rhaenyra's following out was very obvious to the royal court, though the girl remained as Viserys new betrothed.

Rhaena didn't know to deck her brother or kill him.

But the new Princess of Dragonstone had taken her aunts advice seriously, and had summoned her new Ladies in Waiting, personally writing the letters.

From the major houses came Lady Lyanna Stark, Lady Alyssa Baratheon, Lady Catelyn Tully, Lady Lysandra Tyrell, Lady Alayne Arryn, and Lady Jocasta Lannister.

Then came the noble girls from the richest houses of Westeros: Lady Laena Velaryon, Lady Olenna Redwyne, Lady Isabella Manderly, and Lady Rhea Reyne.

Then were the ladies from the prominent major houses: Lady Jessamyn Celtigar, Lady Carina Royce, heiress of Runestone, Lady Jessica Strong, Lady Maia Florent, and Lady Alys Redfort.

Jessamyn Redfort would have been requested as Alys older sister, but she was Lady in Waiting to Jeyne Arryn.

The youngest of the Ladies in Waiting was twelve year old Alys, and the eldest was nineteen year old Catelyn. Per Riverlander tradition, girls waited until they were over eighteen before marriage.

Alayne, Lysandra, and Alys were Rhaenyra's cousins. Alayne was the heiress and younger sister to Jeyne Arryn, Lysandra the daughter of Elys Tyrell nee Arryn, and Alys the daughter of Amanda Redfort nee Arryn.

"I have been drowning in letters for Rhaenyra's hand." Viserys complained.

"I would suggest Daeron." Rhaena offered quietly.

Viserys stilled, frowning.

"Viserys, this isn't me trying to be the power behind the throne, making Rhaenyra my puppet as Otto has claimed. This is me trying to get Rhaenyra a consort who will stand by her side for the rest of her days, her most loyal supporter. They are already close, and their children will bear the Targaryen name." the rider of the Dark Lady explained.

The Young King nodded. "That... that is a good idea. Let us ask them how they would feel, first."

"One of your rare good ideas." Rhaena said, sipping her wine.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.