The truth that meets you (10)

I waited patiently for the Captain in the drawing room, rubbing the black circles under my eyes while stiffling a yawn.

The morning sun reached my feet through the big french windows, warming my cold toes, coaxing me to sleep. The drowsiness was too strong so I requested a cup of coffee for myself instead of the usual tea that aristocrats in the novel are fond of, but even that failed to keep me wide awake.

"Pardon my lateness. I was preparing the knights to return to the site-" Leon didn't even bother to knock, but I didn't mind. Etiquettes are only for nobles, anyway, and I'm not in the mood to act like so in return.

"You must have slept very late. Rest your worries. The snake has been caught, and I have made sure to set traps around the guest house so it will not happen again." He soon added after noticing my red rimmed eyes.

Being woken up as soon as I drifted off to sleep because a wild poisonous snake is in the house is not as fun as it sounds. Still, I shook my head.

"No. It's me who needs to apologize." I raised my eyes to meet his that has soon lowered as he sat across me. "I might take more of your time than intended..."

His brows rose up curiously.

"Your offer yesterday..." I closed my eyes for a while to calm myself. "I'd like to humbly decline." When I opened my eyes, his face was painted with confusion. He must be thinking I'm a fool for not accepting.

"However, I will still be a witness if the Captain needs me to. So I'd like it very much if you still provide me with protection, and instead of the offer to be a scholar, I'd like to get something else."

Leon sighed, then he leaned back as he stared at me. "Speak."

"Before anything else, I want to make sure no one hears of this conversation."

His head lowered slightly as if gauging my words, then he snapped his fingers and a flicker of light expanded from his hands, staining the four walls of the room, until it reached even the tiniest crevices.

"What's that..?" Its probably soundproofing magic, but I need to act like a fool who doesn't know anything.

"I've casted magick to make this room soundproof so feel free to speak your mind, Lady Alvi-or."

I cleared my throat at the way he butchered my last name. Nevertheless, I didn't correct him. "Three." I raised three fingers in the air. "Please provide me at least three transportation scrolls."

"What?" I could see suspicion brewing in his eyes, but I have another card in my sleeve.

"I will not use it to run away. To prove my word, I'm willing to sign an oath of death." The oath of death is a method of sealing a promise at the cost of one's life. If a promise is not fulfilled within the timeframe agreed upon, the person who signed it will die.

"What?" He uttered yet again, this time in surprise.

"Also, I'd like to ask the Captain a favor..."

"Lady Alvi-or, you intend to demand more? Do you even know the price of the reward you're asking for?"

It was only said to be very expensive according to the novel, but it's not like the Gofraidh Duchy is lacking funds. Still, he must be testing me right now, so I should respond with a satisfactory answer.

"It's very expensive." I dropped the obvious answer. It's best to be honest to someone like Leon who values good character. "Anyway, I would like it if you keep your offer open to Azrael even though I will not accept mmyour offer to me..."

When he didn't respond, I continued. "I don't think you'll waste a talent like him just because of me."

He sighed. "Are there more?"

I immediately nodded. "...This favor isn't for me... but rather to the citizens you took an oath to protect." I'll quickly change the subject, and strike him with the information I have.

"Do not bring my oath to the table to gain favors."

I screamed internally after seeing the scary expression on his face. I'm sorry. But it's really not for me. I steeled my heart before speaking again.

"Please don't be offended as that was not my intention." I didn't break eye contact and quickly continued before he loses patience with me. "You already know I'm from Brenia. It's near the border between Kesoe and Pubrina. Lately, the Pubrina soldiers are causing mayhem in the border... Before I left Brenia, I've heard rumors of a war breaking out. I just... I think something bad is going to happen- No. I'm sure of it. Please send some of your men to investigate as soon as possible."

"...You are delusional. The black wolf knights are protecting the borders as we speak. If there were any problems, a messenger would have reached the palace-"

"I will add this on top of my first oath! I am confident enough to bet my life on this, so please do not turn your back on this humble civilian..!"

There was a long stretch of silence until he finally spoke, barely restraining the anger in his voice. "Did someone order you to do this?"

"Huh? No. This is of my own accord." I replied.

Defeaning silence hung in the air, threatening my composure, but at last he finally spoke. Albeit, very scarily.

"Very well. I agree to all your requests... We will see how long that confidence will last."

After the conversation, I laid on my bed, feeling like all the life was drained out of me. At least, I was able to get what I wanted. I sighed as I stretched and rolled towards the center before hugging a pillow as tightly as I could.

"Lady Sierra, might you be interested in having breakfast with Mister Azrael?"

I closed my heavy eyes. "I'm sorry Elizabeth... I'm still very sleepy. I won't be having breakfast... Please inform Azrael for me. Thank you."

"I understand..." She sound dejected beyond the door, but I swallowed my guilt and slept like the dead.

I did it... Surely, my efforts won't go in vain this time.

***
A/N: I'll soon draw a map, because it's going to get confusing later on.