Guarded Secrets (8)

"Cher, someone's injured! Do we still have potions left?" Imaya shouted from the living room.

"Yes! A minute!" I muttered as I limped to the shelf where I store the potions I make. A moment later and I emerged from the kitchen with three bottles. My hair was no longer white, but black. The length, too, shortened, just reaching my collar bones, and I fancied a fringe I'd cut myself. I decided before leaving Ashinlu that it was better to change it, so Imaya helped me with the change.

And ever since then, Sierra Alvior became Cher.

"Here I am! Where is the patient?" I immediately spotted a man whose right foot has a nail embedded in it. "Goodness..."

"Miss Herbalist. I don't care if it's painful. As long as I can still stand." The man, who was probably in his mid twenties laughed after.

I smiled at his courage.

"This guy's only saving grace is his height, you see. He's scared his wife will throw him out if... You know..." Another man, probably the friend of the patient explained in a strained voice, while wiping the sweat dripping down from his face. He must have rushed him here as quickly as he could.

I chuckled a bit at the reason. "I'll do my best." Hopefully, it didn't touch any bone. I went and sat beside the makeshift bed for emergency patients as I quickly inspected his foot.

Thankfully, Mr. Goodwill's mentorship during our first days in Tradam had a few accidents similar to this, so I learned from his treatment. Due to ongoing construction of some houses that are still yet to be finished, accidents occasionally happen every now and then, so all the herbalists decided it would be better to spread out for the convenience of the patients.

"Sorry Imaya, could you get me the first aid?"

The veiled woman nodded and disappeared in the kitchen before coming back with a box. I had also just finished the inspection, so I quickly received the first aid kit with a thank you before facing the patient again.

"...I'm out of pain killers. It will hurt if I pull out the nail later on, Mister."

The man nodded. "My wife's scowl is more painful, so just pull it out comfortably, Miss. 

I smiled, thinking he's going to change his mind later. And soon, after a few hours, the patient was sent back home unconscious. I didn't forget to inform the friend that he'll be able to walk, as long as he doesn't push himself to work, and to drink the meds as prescribed. Otherwise, the man might feel cheated for fainting in the midst of the extraction if he doesn't quickly hear news that he'll recover well. 

"Men are too proud to be careful. That's why they get into all kinds of accidents." Imaya shook her head as she closed the door. "And I still can't believe we're living in a free house with a garden in its frontyard. It's like a dream come true."

"Right?" I uttered as I shuffled to the sofa. Tradam has a very trustworthy security, as well, so it's really great. I heard we may even be able to keep our houses and stay for good even if the war ends later on. Then again, after hearing about all the opportunities and the future plans of the princess for the town, I think it might even become a successful city. There's a high chance, a lot of the population who came here will stay permanently because of the conditions. I'm just thankful the population of Brenia weren't taken to Tradam. Rather, they transfered to a different settlement. 

I had just sunk into the cushion when a few weird knocks permeated in the living room.  

"Is that a new patient..?" I asked, sighing in exhaustion. I wonder if everyone is also receiving the same number of patients. 

"Oh... It's a messenger bird." Imaya clarified after opening the door. 

I straightened my back as I looked at the front porch where a hawk stood curiously looking inside the interior of the house. Its neck was bobbing in all directions until it fixed onto me, as if it recognized its receiver. 

"Wow... It must be the message I've been waiting for." Though I'm quite reluctant to read it now. Nevertheless, I sat in front of it to take the note from the small container it was carrying. As soon as I took the paper out, it became bigger.

Lady Alvi-or's worries came true. My subordinate has gathered substantial evidence of suspicious movement from Pubrina's forces. For the lady's peace of mind, the Princess has quickly made preparations for relocation of the towns that will be affected.

Also, I no longer need your help as a witness, as we've gathered concrete evidences to indict the Mayor of Banaha. May the lady fare well in your journey.

P.S. The sponsorship is always open to accomodate your talent. 

A sigh of relief escaped my lips. Thankfully, I won't be meeting the Captain and risk meeting Issac. Digging into the pouch, I found the ring the Captain gave me. "I've no use for you now..."

I went to the table after fetching a pen and wrote a short reply.

Thank you for informing me. And although I'm flattered, I do not wish to be sponsored. I shall leave you with an advice, however.

Please be careful and look carefully into the faces of the people you will be talking in the future. You are someone who should outlive everyone.

As soon as I put it into the container and the hawk flew, another visitor appeared. Coming down from a carriage, the hooded lady walked towards me while being assisted by a familiar face.

I stared at the person who looked guilty as she met my gaze with neither a frown nor a smile. Felberta. Rather than the humble dresses she'd been sporting in Brenia, a sleek and polished dark blue uniform of the golden eagle imperial knights adorned her body.

"Good afternoon... Are you the herbalist in this area?" The woman beside Felberta asked, catching my attention.

"Yes... Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked. Imaya came, and stood beside me with pursed lips as she held her hands together in lax elegance.

"I have a slight headache..."

"Well... Please come inside, Miss." I uttered as I glanced at the carriage that parked on the side of the road. I wish whatever business they came here for won't take too long.

"Thank you." A grateful smile formed her lips as she took graceful steps to enter our humble abode. Something about the way she moved made me think of Imaya's elegance.

But while the other held an air of aloofness and stoicism, the stranger commanded dignity and attention. Before I could follow my next patient inside, Imaya turned to me with a gaze that told me to be cautious.

"That lady is... Strange."

I looked at the back of the lady who was speaking to Felberta in front of us. It seemed as if she asked her not to escort her inside as Felberta remained rooted on her spot.

"Thanks for the warning." I muttered before ushering our visitor to take a seat inside with my business smile.

"I'm sorry, Sierra... I have no excuses..." Felberta uttered as I passed her by. I offered no reply, and entered as if I didn't hear her words.

What's done is done.

***
A/N: 𝚆𝚑𝚘'𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚍𝚢?

𝙰) 𝙸𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚌 𝚒𝚗 𝚍𝚒𝚜𝚐𝚞𝚒𝚜𝚎.
𝙱) ?