28

❝ A view of the ocean, mountains, and the sunset.
But yet he was still looking at me ❞
— Aly Aubrey

Crisp chestnut leaves fall down, covering the slabs of marble that mark where his parents remain buried.

Winter has left, and in it's wake are autumn leaves, grey clouds and dull days reminding him why he hated London weather so much. Adonis scans the inscription on the tombstone and suddenly finds the urge to throw up in the bush beside him.

His parents are dead, but the lilies he places on their tombstones aren't. He watches their petals stretch to the sky, seeking some semblance of warmth.

Adonis curls into himself, murmuring teary apologies. He wishes he said 'I love you more' or hugged them more often. Adonis wished he could change things but he can't so he whispers a million proclamations of love and promises to be better for them. For himself and Onyx.

He stands and leaves a piece of his heart behind knowing they'd take good care of it. Wiping the last of tears away he makes his way back to his car.

He drives back to Thea's house and there she is helping Onyx with his homework, smiling and telling him how smart he is.

He wraps his arm around her pulling her into his chest, burying his face into the soft dip in her collarbone. He doesn't say anything mostly because he knows he doesn't need too.

There with her arms around him he knows this is all he needs to feel whole again.

• • •

the end.