XI

Marc watched through Steven's eyes as Xia fell in love with his alter. Every single day he felt regret for losing her and pain that he couldn't be the one to hold her.

Marc didn't talk to Steven, even when Steven reached out to him. Marc figured he'd keep his promise to stay out of his life once Khonshu was gone. He knew Steven and Xia would be happier this way.

But he was wrong.

Steven felt like he was missing something from his life, just as Xia did. Xia chose to ignore it, as she always did. Steven, however, continuously tried to reach Marc. He never got a response.

"How is he?" Xia asked one night to Steven. The light was dim; its warmth was barely hitting her cheek. Steven looked down at her from the table to see her sitting on the floor by the foot of the bed. She had a book in her hand, but he knew she wasn't reading.

Steven sighed, putting his cup of tea on the table. "I don't know, Xia," he replied. "He disappeared."

Xia closed her book and looked up at him. "Did something happen?"

"I was going to ask you that," Steven replied. "You two were fiancés after all."

"Stop," Xia said quietly. "You know I still don't remember that."

Steven sighed again. "You should try to talk to him."

Xia shook her head. "No, it's fine." She didn't want him to come back into her life. The last thing she needed was Marc Spector.

"Don't do that," Steven started. "Don't act like you don't care."

"I don't," she replied, picking up her book again.

"Then why'd you ask about him?"

Xia shrugged. "You just seemed down, that's all."

"Try it, Xia. For me."

Xia did a slight scoff. "Fine, but I doubt he'll come out." She pushed herself up from the floor and made her way over to the table. "Marc? Are you there?" She asked, looking into Steven's eyes. No response. "See? I told you," she shrugged, turning away.

"What was that?!" Steven stood up, annoyed. "You didn't even try!"

"Don't need to," Xia replied nonchalantly.

"You know what I think?"

"What do you think, Steven?" Xia asked unaffected by his attitude.

"I think you're scared," Steven crossed his arms.

Xia scoffed, "of what? Marc? Please."

"Of Marc coming back and you getting mixed up with him again like in your past," Steven asserted.

"Jealous, much? I don't care about Marc; I don't even remember him!" Xia defended.

"I just... I can't with you," Steven walked away, frustrated.

Xia sighed heavily and followed him. She placed her hand on his shoulder, causing him to face her. She looked into his eyes, and she saw Marc. Her body shuddered.

His eyebrows furrowed. "Xia?" Steven asked. "You alright?"

Xia turned away. It was still Steven. "What? Yeah, I'm fine."

"You saw him, didn't you?" Steven asked. "Marc."

"No," Xia sat down at the table. Steven followed and sat across from her. The two stared into each other's eyes. "Look," she sighed. "It's you that I want, Steven. You. Okay?"

Steven pursed his lips and nodded. "Okay," he replied softly. "Okay."

The two sat in silence for a little bit until Xia changed the subject. "Do you ever miss the feeling?" She asked, referring to the deities.