Your First Date

A/N: I honestly forgot just how hard thinking of ideas for preferences is because you have to do it multiple times for multiple characters while making sure all of them are creative and MY GOD I just forgot that it's an agonizing process lol. 

Word Count: 1,484 

Rip Wheeler

The sun was just starting to creep below the mountains and the sky was the most beautiful and deep color of orange. It filled me with nostalgia and reminded me of what I had been missing while away from home. Sure the sun set everywhere, even in the city, but the sunsets at home were superior. I pulled a sweater on and grabbed a jacket in case it was colder than I expected. A quick peek out my bedroom window revealed Rip in the pen, saddling two horses. I ducked out of the window before he could catch me staring, went downstairs and grabbed a few beers from the fridge, and went out to meet him.

I liked watching Rip work. He always had the most adorable furrow in his brow when he was concentrating. I wasn't sure he was aware of it, but it always put a smile on my face. When he looked up and noticed me watching, his face lit up with a smile. It wasn't often Rip smiled, but it looked good on him. "I brought us something," I said, shaking the beers. Rip chuckled. "Great minds think alike," he said as he showed me the beers he had packed in his saddle bag, along with an impressive assortment of my favorite snacks. "How did you know?" I asked as I accepted his help getting onto my horse, even though I didn't need it. Rip smirked. "Lee was all too willing to help me out with that one" he admitted, and I laughed. I was glad to know that at least one of my siblings was on board with this.

When we got to the field Rip liked to come to, I was surprised to see that there were already plush blankets and a couple of pillows waiting for us. "Rip this is amazing," I said as I marveled at it. He was still smiling as he took my hand in his and lead me over to the blanket and gently pulled me down to sit beside him, throwing the second blanket over us for warmth. I leaned my head on his shoulder as we watched the last of the sun disappear, talking about everything and anything. Once the stars were visible, Rip pointed out all of the constellations to me, but all I could focus on was how handsome he looked. "Rip look, a shooting star! Make a wish!" I shrieked, my excitement getting the best of me. He laughed and pulled me closer to him. "Did you make a wish?" I asked. "Nah, I've got nothin to wish for." He replied. "Oh.." I whispered, not sure what to say. He place his hand on my face and turned it so I was looking at him. "(Y/n) darlin, I didn't make a wish because I've got everything I've ever wished for sittin right here beside me," he told me, and all I could think was how beautiful he looked in the moonlight. 

Kayce Dutton

The knock on my front door let me know that I was running much later than I had hoped. After spending the day dealing with a last-minute work emergency, I had gotten home later than I wanted, and was now running late for my date with Kayce. "Doors open, come in!" I hollered as I fiddled with an earring back that didn't want to go on. All of my frustration dissipated the moment I saw him. I couldn't remember the last time I had been so happy to see someone, especially someone who was practically a stranger to me. I wasn't sure what it was about him, but I just relaxed in his presence.

I instructed him to make himself comfortable while I exasperatedly searched for my boots. "Rough day?" Kayce asked as I tugged my boots on while nodding to confirm that I had one hell of a day. "Come on, throwing things always helps me feel better" he joked as he offered me his hand and lead me out of my place to his truck. He walked me around to the passenger side and opened the door for me before closing it and going around to the driver's side. "I can't wait to kick your ass," I told him, sending a coy wink in his direction. His smile was mischievous as he winked back at me, "Bring it" he encouraged as he backed out of my driveway.

Within minutes of starting the game, my confidence in "kicking Kayce's ass" was diminished. He insisted on letting me bowl first, and I thought that I had done well by knocking over nine out of ten pins on my first throw and earning a spare on my second throw. When it was Kayce's turn he threw the ball with more force than I thought possible, but I was more focused on his incredibly impressive arm muscles than the strike he just got. When he saw the look of shock on my face he leaned in and whispered "Still planning on kicking my ass?" I fought back a shiver at how close his lips were to me. "Bring it cowboy" I whispered back, determination in my eyes. The baiting and the flirting continued all night until we finally made it to the last round of our last game. I had somehow managed to come out ahead of Kasey and was confident that I was going to win. Both of us waited anxiously as the computer tabulated our results. "Loser buys beers?" I asked him and he agreed. When I saw the screen I couldn't help but squeal and jump; I had beaten Kasey by two points. Despite losing, his smile was just as big as mine. "Come on, let's go get you a beer," he said as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and led me toward the bar. 

Lee Dutton

Not that I had been counting down the days since Lee had asked me to accompany him to his self-proclaimed "perfect picnic spot" but it had certainly been pretty much the only thing on my mind ever since. Almost as soon as I got home from our accidental first date, Lee had texted me asking when he could see me again, and we had quickly figured out a day that worked for the both of us since neither of us could wait to see the other again.

There was something especially romantic about going on a "second first date" with someone that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Maybe it was the fact that Lee was willing to do it all over again, just so that we could have a real first date the way that it would have been if he'd had a say in things in the first place. Someone being willing to put in that level of effort for me was something I had never experienced before, and it made my heart flutter when I thought of just how much work Lee was putting into making our second first date just as memorable and special as our "first" had been.

When I met up with Lee at the address he had given me, he was holding another bouquet of (your favorite flowers) and greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. "Do you trust me?" He asked me, and once I confirmed that I did, he covered my eyes with his hands. "Can't let see the surprise before we even get there" he said as he gently began guiding us forwards. "Are you ready to see one of the best picnicking spots in Montana?" He asked when we stopped moving. "One of the best?" I questioned. "I gotta keep some secrets to show you later don't I?" He laughed as he removed his hands from my eyes. "Oh wow...Lee this is..." I was lost for words as I took in the gorgeous weeping willow that bordered the park's river and was nicely secluded from the rest of the busy park. He parted the branches of the tree and allowed me to duck under first. My heart swelled even more when I saw the picnic blanket, a bottle of sparkling wine, and snacks that were already set out for us. "This is the most thoughtful date I've ever been on thank you," I whispered, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "It's my pleasure. I loved our "first date", but if it had been up to me, this is how I would have done it. This is the kind of first date you deserve (Y/n)." He told me as he took my hand and pulled me gently towards our waiting picnic.