Preface

It was all a mess. A beautiful, nauseating, perfectly confusing mess.

All of it and none of it made sense. It was all hands, mouths, lips, warmth. It was words exchanged in whispers and names in breaths. It was fire keeping the embers burning late past 2 in the morning and the smell of cologne. It was shirts on the floor and fingers hungrily fumbling with buttons. It was heads tuning everything else out; just for a moment. A moment was safe. But nothing was safe. They knew that. It was longing and anger. Confusion and shame. Desperation and want.

It was more than all of that. It was names and memories and hands under desks and eyes across parties. It was laughter and jealousy. Smiles and tears. That pinching feeling when he wasn't calling for him. That look in the mirror when they didn't recognize themselves. That feeling that the clock was getting too loud. Time was slipping. Maybe they were.

It was all anger and confusion and want. It was misdirection and distractions and realization. It was feeling stupid. It was feeling wanted. It was feeling more. It was friends. It was more.

It was train rides. It was a party. It was a dance. It was a drink.

It was all a mess. It was all trouble. Oh, what a wonderful word.