The Fitting

"You steal the air out of my lungs, you make me feel it." – Don't Take the Money by Bleachers

┈ ✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁ ┈

The following morning was a Friday... a sunny day, at that. 

Lee had stayed in the hospital wing for a couple of hours after George had fallen fully asleep, and yes, it was a school night, and yes, he was utterly exhausted when he walked into his first morning period of the day, but he didn't exactly regret it. 

He didn't regret it. He had decided upon this, even from the minute he opened his eyes that morning. 

Still, his feet were dragging as he shuffled into Potions, plopping down into the seat beside Angelina. Fred had taken his next to Padma across the classroom, the two chuckling about something. 

Lee let his bag slump to the floor, and he wasn't far behind, slouching his cheek into his hand with a yawn.

Angelina eyed him, her brows knitting in confusion. "What's got you so exhausted? You look like you just walked out of a coffin." 

"Little tired, is all," Lee mumbled, staring forward. 

"And why is that?" Angelina asked, pulling out her textbook. 

Lee hesitated. 

"Why is that, Lee?" 

"I stayed a few hours," he muttered back, rubbing his eyes, "in the hospital wing... with George..."

Angelina blinked at him, raising an eyebrow. "You did."

"Yeah," he yawned again. "I'm fine."

There was a moment where he was still staring forward, remaining quiet, before he realized Angelina was still looking at him and he turned to meet her gaze. 

Upon doing this, his own brow furrowed and he lifted his face from his hand. "Why are you smiling?" 

"What?" 

"You're... smiling. Weirdly."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Lee," she replied, turning forward again and flipping open her textbook. "I'm glad you're 'fine'. I bet you're 'fine'." 

"What the hell are you on about?" Why was she still smiling like that?

"Quiet now, my child, class is starting," Angelina hushed, picking up her quill pointedly. 

George, meanwhile, was ordered by Pomfrey to take the morning off from classes, just to ensure that he had healed enough from the injury. She had sent his professors a note, which was a relief– no suspicious teachers finally catching him skipping classes. 

He felt much better, especially after the woman had fixed him up quickly in the hospital wing, an overnight recovery– 

Among other things. 

After lunch, he was off to Transfiguration. On the way, he received quite a few greetings in the hallways, and multiple people stopping him to check in about his supposed injury. It was shocking how anything that happened to him spread fast, especially within his year. 

He was, for once, relieved to be back in class, mainly because it meant that he was going to be okay. He needed that comfort, especially when he was eager to return to training... which Pomfrey had also advised against for at least the weekend. 

He made it to class just in time before the bell rang, reaching his usual seat beside Lee and sinking into the chair. McGonagall was already clicking to the front of the classroom in her heels, hands folded behind her back as she explained the day's lesson.