The Boy

"I got to be your friend now, baby

And I would like to move in just a little bit closer."

– You Spin Me Right Round by Dead or Alive

┈ ✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁ ┈

Lee sat on the edge of his bed, journal propped open in his lap and the distant sounds of a party downstairs serenading his writing.

He had been meaning to make an entry that day, and he wasn't exactly eager to be perfectly on time to the party anyway. That was more Fred and George's thing. He preferred "fashionably late"– aka, putting off being in the big crowds. Although, he did enjoy a good party once in a while.

His pen scribbled away below.

Musical, break, friends, busy, exams, party, loud, music, laughing, girls...

His mind flickered to about twenty minutes before when George was heading out for the party downstairs.

"Hurry up! The crowds are waiting! Chanting, hear that? 'Jor-dan, Jor-dan, Jor-dan!'"

A smile traced across Lee's lips as his pen hovered above the page.

Dumb redheads.

Then he shut the notebook, calling it good. And it was just in time, because the door to his dorm room came creaking open, and in stepped none other than Angelina Johnson.

"Ah, thank Merlin," she sighed, shutting the door behind her. "If I had walked into five boys running around shirtless, I would have turned right around."

Lee scoffed, standing up off the bed. "What do you think we do in here, huh?"

She shrugged, grinning.

He rolled his eyes and tossed his journal onto his nightstand, walking over to his wardrobe. "What are you doing up here, anyway?"

"Just abusing my privileges of not being a boy," she joked, plopping onto the edge of his bed in replacement. It was always amusing that girls were permitted in the boys' dorms, but not vice versa. Perhaps they were seen as unruly animals. "Plus, dragging you down to the party. You coming or what?"

"Yeah, yeah." Lee waved a hand, using the other to tug open his dresser drawer, scouring for a better shirt. He figured he might as well pull something over his old tee shirt he acquired from his father.

"Come on, you gotta be more enthusiastic about it than that," Angelina scoffed. "You realize that people are talking about you down there?"

Lee felt an uneasy pinch in his stomach. He didn't share the same excitement as George surrounding popularity or "talk" involving him. His eyes flicked to Angelina's in the reflection of his floor-length mirror. She chuckled, catching his inner panic.

"About the musical, dummy," she eased his nerves. "Ever since you were cast as a lead, plus all the time-consuming rehearsals, your peers have been surprisingly eager to hear about it all."

Lee raised an eyebrow, half-unseriously. "Surprising?"

She corrected herself. "Not surprising, because you are oh-so-popular, and cool, and charming, and universally-loved."

"Alright, my head's big enough."

She grinned, leaning back on her hands on the bed.

"It really isn't surprising, though," she went on. "You already have quite the reputation to your name."