The Malfunction

"Love was a currency, a shimmering balance act, I think that I laughed at that." – Don't Take the Money by Bleachers

┈ ✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁ ┈

"The Winter Ball," Professor McGonagall began, "is a tradition of upmost value." 

The Great Hall was quiet as the woman slowly paced in front of them, her buckled heels gently clicking along the floor while the students remained in an anticipated silence. George scratched his nose. Lee sat beside him, drumming his fingers on the long table.

"It is held every five years," she continued, "and is exclusively for students in their fourth year and above– hence, why we have called you here today." 

"Really?" Lee whispered. "I thought it was another classic McGonagall fashion showcase."

George hid his laugh with a cough. 

"It is an event of respectability," McGonagall went on, "and livelihood. That does not mean that you may all be dancing... and acting... provocatively." 

A wave of giggles washed over the crowd at that. McGonagall flashed the students a look before continuing her speech. 

"You are welcome to attend with a date of your choice," she said, "or perhaps, with your friends. But if you attend, you must agree to the guidelines that are set in place."

"Can we attend with you?" Seamus Finnigan called. 

Another round of snickers. 

McGonagall sighed. "Alas, an entertaining evening for myself will not rely on your charm and flattery, Mr. Finnigan. I will be one of the chaperones keeping you all in check."

Seamus grinned and joined in on a few laughs from his surrounding friends.

"The dance is in three weeks," she announced. "That should give you plenty of time to find according attire and make plans. Although you may believe– based on school rules and homework assignments– that we staff aim to bring your levels of fun down, we do hold this event to show appreciation for our students."

Lee smiled a little at that.

"And," she added, "you are all in your teenage years, so a dance is really all you need, isn't it?"

┈ ✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁ ┈

"Three weeks," George reflected as he, Lee, and Fred walked down the corridor after the gathering. "I suppose we'll witness some chaos between the sexes."

Lee scoffed. "Funny how you say that, when everyone will be eager to know who you show up with."

George looked at him. "I am not going with a date."

Fred raised his eyebrows. "Really?"

"That was quick," Lee said. 

"I told you," George said, turning forward again, "this year is different. I need a break from girls. I don't want to just egg on all my friends by showing up with some bird, and starting the cycle over again. The gossip."

"Fair point," Fred shrugged. "Well, I, for once, hope to be attending with a girl."

"I mean, you know Padma will say yes, mate," Lee told him. 

Fred scratched his neck. "Three weeks is a long time... do you think we'll still be going pretty strong?"

"No doubt," George said. "You two seem to fit well. As long as you don't hex her mother in the next three weeks, I'd say you're in the green."