Chapter Ten

Jesses POV

"What did you say?" Knox looked over to Karen. And if looks could kill she would be dead.

I'm glad he's not focusing his anger towards me.

She looked taken a back but you could tell she wasn't backing down.

"I said the dress would look better on me. So I want it." As she glared at me.

"Well she is the customer so you should do as she said." Derrick chimed in looking at me smirking.

"Yeah Jesse do as the man says and give me the dress." Karen snapped at me.

I've about had it with know your place. And do as the man says bullshit.

I'm a woman an equal. Not below a man. I'm the captain of my fire department. The first woman captain to be precise. I worked hard to get where I'm at.

So I'm most definitely am not below a man. I'm an equal

"Listen you little bitch." As I advanced towards Karen. I was going to kick her ass.

But Knox had to block my path.

And boy that made me mad. How dare Knox stop me from putting that bitch in her place.

"Look I suggest you leave my store." Mia said as she was pointing to the door.

They decided not to argue with Mia. Who looked scary by the way.

But before Derrick an Karen left Derrick had to get one last word in.

"That attitude will drive your mate away. That's why I replaced you. he'll replace you just like I did sooner or later." Before Mia literally shoved them out the door.

Everything was silent.

I hate the silence. It gives you time to think.

It made me think about what Derrick said.

Will Knox replace me. Derrick used to tell me that everyone is replaceable.

I know Knox said that no mated pair has ever separated. But he could be lying to me.

He probably manipulated his emotions to make me feel he was telling the truth.

And again I barely knew him. Sure we've gotten to know each other. But in the end we've only known each other for a day.

"Um I'm going to change." As I went back to the dressing room and quickly got out of that dress and back into my clothes.

Why did Knox stop me. Does he think I'm weak. Is there a reason he was protecting them.

When I finished getting dressed I had tears flowing down my face.

Of course our good day had to be ruined.

I looked out of the dressing room and noticed Knox and Mia had their backs turned away from me. So I quietly snuck past them and out of the store.

Why did I sneak out?

Well I need time to think. How could I be so stupid to just believe a man I've never met until a day ago.

He could be lying about everything.

Anyway I took off down the sidewalk heading towards my fire department since it was close by. Then I can borrow one of my brothers trucks to take home.

The further I got from Knox I started to feel funny and not in a good way. But I just sucked it up and dealt with it.

And since I was marked I had enhance speed. So it got me the my department in no time.

Funny how I was able to get here without being stopped by Knox.