Ch.4 Painting The Town

3rd Pov

Ruby: "Penny, I-I don't understand..."

Penny: "Most girls are born, but I was made. I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an Aura. I'm not real..."

Ruby takes Penny's hands in her own. She opens them to reveal the scratches, before closing Penny's fingers together.

Ruby: "Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than me?"

Razor: "Come on Penny, of course you're real."

Penny: "I don't... um... You're both... taking this extraordinarily well."

Ruby: "You're not like those things we saw back there. You've got a heart, and a soul; I can feel it!"

Penny: "Ooohh... oh Ruby. You're the best friend anyone could have!"

She grabs Ruby into a hug and shakes her back and forth, prompting her to give a muffled groaning.

Ruby: "I can see why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower!"

She releases her hold from Ruby, as she fully goes back to her happy self.

Penny: "Oh, he's very sweet! My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you would love him!"

Ruby: "Wow... He built you all by himself?"

Penny: "Well, almost! He had some help from Mr Ironwood."

Ruby: "The General?! Wait... Is that why those soldiers were after you?"

Penny: "They like to protect me, too!"

Ruby scoffs as she gives Penny an unconvinced look.

Ruby: "They don't think you can protect yourself?"

Penny: "They're not sure if I'm ready yet... One day, it will be my job to save the world, but I still have a lot left to learn. That's why my father let me come to the Vytal Festival. I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world, and test myself in the Tournament."

Ruby: "Penny, what are you talking about? Save the world from what? We're in a time of peace!"

Razor: "I'm confused, Ruby is right after all."

Hearing her statement, Penny tilts her head in confusion.

Penny: "That's not what Mr Ironwood said..."

Soldier 1: "Check down here!"

Penny then grabs Ruby by the shoulders.

Penny: "You both have to hide!"

Then suddenly, she lifted the red-hooded girl above her head, without much effort. Ruby struggles and screams as she is carried toward the dumpster.

Ruby: "Penny, wait! What are you doing? You don't have to go with them! I can help you!"

Despite the plead, Penny throws Ruby inside the dumpster  before turning around and grabbing Razor as well and lifts the lid so she can still talk to them.

Penny: "It's okay, Ruby. They're not bad people; I just don't want to get you in trouble. Just promise me you won't tell anyone else my secret. Okay?"

Emphasizing her last words, she gravely stares at the two.

Both: "I promise."

With that, Ruby and Razor lowers their heads into the garbage as the lid is put down, but she lifts it a little to peek at the scene outside.