Chapter Three

Hair cascading across my face, sunlight shimmered through the room. I blinked my eyes open, stretching my arms over my head before sitting up. A smile spread across my face as I looked around my room. I was finally on my own, free from my parents, my governess, and especially Mrs. Harrison.

_________________

Strolling down the crowded streets of London, I had to weave my way around people. I happened upon a quaint tearoom and stepped inside. It was smaller than other tearooms I had seen, but it was cozy. Bookshelves lined one wall, and as I closed the door behind me, I heard muffled thumps from above that caused the chandelier to shake.

"How may I help you, miss?" a woman asked.

"Yes," I started, distracted by another thump from above. "I was wondering if you were hiring? I just moved here and need a job."

"A lady like you?" she laughed, gesturing to my dress. I had to admit, I did come from money.

"Well, yes," I said plainly.

"Has your husband stopped buying you dresses and jewelry?" she questioned.

"I'm not married," I assured her.

"Oh, my apologies, I had assumed," she said.

"It's quite alright," I smiled.

"How old are you?" she asked.

"Nineteen," I told her.

"And you're not married?" she joked.

My attention was drawn back to the ceiling after hearing another thump.

"Miss?" she called, bringing my gaze back to her.

"I'm sorry?" I questioned.

"How well do you know your tea?" she asked.

"Oh, very well," I said, still somewhat distracted by the noise above. "I'm sorry, but what's up there?"

"Would you like to see?" she asked, and I nodded in response.

She led me up a small set of stairs in the back, stopping just at the top. A sign read, "WOMEN ONLY." She opened the door to reveal at least seven women all wearing the same white outfit, some being thrown down by the others. Mats lined the floor, and off to the right was an office.

"We women need to protect ourselves," she told me, as if understanding my confusion.

As we walked toward the office, I asked, "How do you keep the people from downstairs from finding this out?"

"We only tell them enough to ease their suspicion," she replied.

"I don't believe I know your name," I said as we stepped into the office.

"Edith," she responded. "Yours?"

"Emberly," I smiled.

Edith suddenly stopped in her tracks. "Emberly? Emberly Williams?"

"Yes?"

"I remember you. Eudoria speaks so much about you. She even said you and Sherlock Holmes were to marry?"

I was shocked. "What?"

"Oh, were you two not? She told me you both were madly in love."

"I assure you; Sherlock and I were not in love. Besides, his only true love is being a detective. I could never compare."

"So, you love him, but he does not love you in return?" she pried.

Taking a deep breath, I found my thoughts wandering off. Shaking my head to stop them in their tracks, I turned toward Edith, dismissing the whole conversation.

"About the job?" I smiled.

I believe she got the hint, for she simply smiled, extended her hand, and said, "You got it."