Chapter Twelve

The next morning, I woke up earlier than the others. I made myself a cup of tea and settled into the window sill in the study, engrossed in a book. A few moments later, I heard a creak on the stairs and looked up, hearing footsteps that seemed to be sneaking.

"Where are you going, Enola?" I asked, already knowing it was her.

"How did you know it was me?" Enola replied, surprised.

"Enola, you and I are the only two who sneak around this house. Now, where are you going?" I questioned again.

"I can't be sent away to that school. I have to find my mother," Enola pleaded.

I sighed, understanding her desperation. I didn't want her to go to that school either. "I saw nothing," I smiled, letting her leave. I returned to my reading, watching her from the window as she made her way out.

A few hours later, I heard someone shout, "Enola!" I smiled, knowing it was Sherlock.

"What are you smiling at?" Sherlock asked, his smirk evident.

"Nothing," I replied, taking a sip of my tea.

"She's gone," Mycroft announced as he entered the study, Sherlock looking at me, knowing I knew something. I simply sat there, sipping my tea.

"Well, we must look for her," Sherlock declared.

"No, you look for mother. I will look for Enola. Once I find her, she's going to that school," Mycroft stated firmly before storming off.

The next thing I knew, I was on a train back to London with Sherlock. We arrived at the tea shop where I worked.

"Do you really think she'd come here?" I asked Sherlock.

"I do," Sherlock replied softly, opening the door as we walked in.

"Em, you're back!" Edith greeted me with a smile.

I avoided the death stare Sherlock was giving me. Clearly, he didn't approve of me working here.

"Hello, Edith," I smiled, trying to keep the atmosphere light.

Edith glanced at Sherlock, her expression changing completely, and then turned to walk away.

"I advise you not to walk away," Sherlock sighed, his tone serious. Edith walked into the kitchen, and we followed.

"Whatever it is you think you know, Mr. Holmes, please be advised that if you disturb any of my customers..." Edith began, her voice filled with warning.

"You'd hurt me badly?" Sherlock finished her sentence. "I'm well aware of your talents, Miss Grayston. The question is, what would you risk if I were to advise my friends in the government to take a look at this place?" Sherlock motioned towards the upstairs area. "I know my brother would be delighted to browse your seditious, dangerous, and extremely banned bookshelves," Sherlock continued, flipping through a book and closing it. Edith picked up a pot, ready to hit him with it.

"Edith, that's not necessary," I said calmly, trying to diffuse the tension.

"You see? We can both hurt each other. Now, please put the teapot down. In your hands, and hers, it is a mighty weapon," Sherlock stated, maintaining eye contact with Edith. Reluctantly, she put the pot down. "Thank you."

We spoke to Edith about his mother and where Enola might be. She provided us with as much help as she could, and we learned that Enola had been seen with a boy, which Sherlock found amusing. After finishing our conversation, we left.

"Enola needs you, Sherlock," Edith added before leaving the room. "I'm pleased you're interested, at least. We all thought you'd just ignore your sister, like the ostrich you are. But she does need you."

"So everyone keeps telling me," Sherlock muttered to himself, looking at me. We walked out together, ready to continue our search for Enola.