Outbursts

(italics are flashbacks/thoughts)

season ten, episode fifteen

IN THE trauma area, Mackenzie and April worked together on a car crash victim. The blonde saw that the patient eyes were fixed and dilated.

Shaking her head, she carefully pulled the head wrap only for blood to come out the man's skull.

"Ugh, skull is cracked. They said he went through the windshield?"

April sighed. "V-tach. No pulse." she slammed a fist on the man's chest. "Paddles! Charge to 100!"

Mackenzie looked over to the nurses station and overheard a woman's conversation.

"Donald Mercer..."

She looked back down only to see blood squirt out of his head every time April pressed on his chest.

"Clear!"

No response.

"Charge to 200! Clear!"

A beat of silence passed before the beeping of the machine started back. "Okay, I've got a rhythm. I got a pulse."

"Wait," Mackenzie said before pressing on the man's chest only to get no reaction, then getting her penlight and checking the man's pupils again. "No pupillary response, no pain response, visible brain matter, no evidence of brain activity...I think we lost him."

"Maybe there's a mistake please..."

Mackenzie and April turned to the crying woman at the station.

"I need to see him."

The blonde shook her head and stormed out of the room. She still had a feeling.

A FEW DAYS AGO...

"Colette, d'accord, oui ! J'y vais maintenant, je rappellerai plus tard. Je t'aime aussi."  Mackenzie rushed as she stepped out of her car. (Colette, okay, yes! I'm going now, I'll call back later. I love you too.)

A woman with brunette hair stood on the porch of a very delightful looking house. Mackenzie walked up the concrete stairs to meet her there.

The blonde stuck her hand out trying to control the shakiness of it. "Hi, I'm Mackenzie. You must be Janet, we spoke on the phone."