Chapter Three: Angels Everywhere

Under the morning's sunny clear sky, Tasra and Tessa were riding on a carriage pulled by two stallions. Both of them, and the coachman in black tunic sat together under the shadow of a huge umbrella planted in the middle of the carriage. The heat of the morning's sun rays may be scorching but the horses ran relentlessly on the stone pavement. Lantern posts stood beside the way, yet its light was not that visible under the sunny sky. They passed through houses and, of course, citizens strolling around. There were few carriages, too, which were traveling on the pavement. The wind blew their hair and clothes on their way to the marketplace.
"So what does she say?" Tessa broke the silence with his question to his brother.
"Nothing to worry about our farmland." Tasra replied. "She stays in the farm now, and for the rest of the day until I come tomorrow."
"Ah, thank goodness." Tessa replied in relief. "I know that we have our farmers there but it is better if there would be someone who will watch them for safety."
Tasra nodded and continued. "In truth, she brought a new sheep earlier. She said she found them wandering in the woods, so she took them."
Upon hearing it, Tessa's raised an eyebrow. "Hmm. Good for Asha, and also for us to have more animals in our farm but it's still bizarre, isn't?"
"Yeah. How unusual it is to find farm animals wandering in the woods. I think this is the third time that this happens?"
"Fourth for our farm." She corrected. "Even in our neighbor's farmland. Sometimes, they also found wandering sheeps nearby. Anyway, it's good that your lover is there to —"
"Shut it!" Tasra snapped with his neutral expression. By that time, they were near to the marketplace. The houses they passed got bigger and stylish compared with the houses they saw earlier. The pavement got broader along their way, and more carriages were seen traveling.
Both Tessa and Tasra fixed their sight on the scenery around them. There was nothing strange to be seen. The noise of people's murmurings filled the atmosphere outside. By then, there were crowds of citizens who sauntered beside the pavement. Tasra couldn't recognize any of those people yet he wondered on who among them were warlocks or witches. For him, the thought has relieved him since he knew that their kind was indiscernible from anyone, mainly from their conquerors.
"Where do you wish to be dropped in the marketplace?" The coachman asked without facing them. His focus was locked upon maneuvering the horses by holding the reins.
"On the central fountain." Tasra replied. Soon, they reached a crossroad. One pavement to the right, one to the left, and one which was straight ahead. In the corner of her sight, Tasra caught a glimpse of white-cloaked people who brought staffs with them along with armored knights who were all marching from the pavement on their left. Behind them were three carriages. Neither of them has passengers, but each has a stone statue of an angel. Their wings and arms were open, their faces looking skyward. Behind each statue was a blue banner wherein a face of a lion was drawn. Forgons. Tasra thought to himself.
Before he could poke Tessa to show her what was on the left pavement, the coachman hardly pulled the horses' reign to the right. Then they went to the right pavement as they reached the intersection. Both he and Tessa trembled lightly on their seats upon the carriage's sudden shift of direction. That distracted Tasra, so he decided to tell Tessa later what he saw. He turned back and saw the Forgon's army turned to a different direction, away from them. With the speed of their coachman's carriage, the army became gradually blur in his sight, in addition to the crowds beside and more carriages that travelled along their way.
Tasra wondered. Many men of Forgon were frequently lurking around the towns in Mirillios ever since their conquer has began. But he only saw the angel statues by that time, and he didn't have any idea where were those for, nor where did those come from.
Later on, they reached an arc along their way and inscribed in it was NORTHERN ECLUS MARKETPLACE. Glancing around them were houses, small stores and emporium. Mostly were fruits and vegetables, placed on a large table. Throngs lined up as they wanted to buy.
As they kept going, the vendors they passed sell meat cuts, preserved as those were placed over ice shards on a large tray. How good for all of them to be shaded by their huge umbrellas on their table, otherwise the goods they sell would be exposed to the sun rays, and they themselves would be scorched.
At last, they reached another crossroad but in the middle was a marble fountain that aesthetically springs water, reflecting the light from the sun on the clear sky. It was big enough to be the place's center of attraction.
The coachman steered his horses towards the fountain's edge and halted upon reaching it. He turned to them and opened the doors of his passengers. Tasra drew gold coins from his small bag then handed it to the coachman.
"Thank you." The coachman spoke in gratitude. When Tasra and Tessa were on their feet, the coachman drove away. It was almost high noon. The siblings covered their head by the hood of their robe.
"Where do we go now?" Tessa asked.
"To buy what we need." Tasra replied. "Just come with me. I bet you're not familiar with this place and you might get lost." They went across the pavement as they headed on their right. They encountered crowds of people who came by. One of the stores they passed sells swords and other iron weapons, hanging on the ceiling. Displayed on its exterior were wooden armor stands. Some were fully-suited of armor while the others were not, exposing the mannequin's wooden structure. Even though they cannot see the blacksmith from outside, the loud clanking of metals rang throughout the place. Probably, they used their hammer, pounding high-heated irons to forge weapons or any other useful tools. Every people nearby the entrance of the blacksmith's house can feel the hotness in the air, blown from the furnaces which flames were raging.
Tessa stopped for a while and gazed at an armor stand outside. It was fully-covered in iron, reflecting her face as her gaze locked on the breastplate. Tasra glanced at the hanging swords just above the armor and tapped it lightly, making a loud clank like wind chimes. He remembered the days when they were few years younger. Their father used to teach them sword combat. Tessa has much skills and can learn faster than him. She was more interested in blade combats rather than learning incantations. Although Tasra knew the basics, he just preferred to pour his attention in mastering sorceries.
"Let's go, you'll have other time to look for such." He told her.
"Yes. I still prefer the blacksmiths in Xen-Trisida." She agreed. "It's so hot in here, we should go home as early." There was no trace of disappointment in her face then she went with her brother. More retailing of blacksmiths, more clanking noises, until moments later they reached a store where several barrels of fruits and other vegetables were displayed inside. Tasra went first and Tessa followed. They unveiled their face and Tasra drew out his bag of coins.
"We're here." He spoke and glanced around the store. Aside from the barrels and trays of fruits and any other goods, there were other people who were buying, too. They also have their own basket, similar with the ones bought by Tessa. Looking around, he found an old lady in red robe sat before a table, where few people lined up to her. She was no one but the owner of this store. They placed their baskets on the table and showed it to her. Afterwards, the old lady will dictate their total expenses and people will pay her gold coins. Just like how everything works within all marketplaces.
"Let's pick the best tomatoes we will see." Tasra said to Tessa.
She nodded in reply. "Of course, we should." Together, they sauntered upon seeking their needs. The place was adorned by the stocks and barrels of goods itself. The bright color of oranges, one of his mother's best-loved fruits. The sweet scent of brimmed fresh mangoes drifted to Tasra, his favorite one. He took one and gazed at its smooth yellow peel. A sweet one, judging from its color. Yet he had to be thrifty, so he placed it back. He only brought an exact amount of gold for their needs. Tasra went on. Dozens of radish, carrots, potatoes, and more root crops placed on a broad wooden tray. It was very noticeable. Freshly harvested and soiled but was never in the verge of being rotten.
He looked for Tessa, who just took a dozen of garlic knobs. Tasra found the onions, both the white and the reddish onions. He always craved for its sweet and aromatic smell upon its savor when being cooked. Tasra took a dozen and a half.
By then, Tessa came to him and offered him the basket. "What else? Tomatoes?"
"For the last one." He agreed and poured the onions to the basket. They almost sought at every spot of the place to look for tomatoes, until they found one barrel which was half-filled. They never thought that tomatoes were this scarce. What was more dismaying was that almost half of it were starting to get rot and were stale. A shiny but disappointing dark and wrinkled skin.
"We have to seek, thoroughly." Tessa suggested with a frown. With the basket kept hanging on her arm, she went to the barrel to picked tomatoes. Tasra joined her.
"I wonder why do they keep these in here when they are almost or nearly rotten." She complained.
"They are easy to get rotten." Tasra said. "And I think she forgot to regularly check her fruits." He glanced at the old lady on the table who was accommodating two people, paying for their purchases. Tessa followed his glance.
"Ah. Fine." She rolled her eyes and continued to seek healthy tomatoes. After few moments, they gathered ten healthy, orange tomatoes. It was exhausting, even more if they would try to dig the barrel deeper. Then after glancing at the food in their basket, they thought that they have nothing else to buy so they went to the old lady to pay.
Tessa placed their basket and showed it to the old woman. The saleswoman pulled it closer and examined the fruits and vegetables they have bought. "Oh, tomatoes. I see. Apologies for many of these aren't that good. My farm's most fruitful tomatoes were mostly taken by the Forgonians."
"We understand." Tasra replied and prepared his sack of coins. "I hope that their greediness will end soon..."
"I hope so." She agreed, keeping a dry smile on her face. "That will be ten gold coins."
Tasra took the amount she has said. Fortunately, few more coins were left as their fare on their way home. He handed the coins to her then left. Tessa took the basket and gave a smile to the old lady, even though she felt a brush of guilt when she complained about the rotten tomatoes earlier.
"Thank you for the purchase." The old lady greeted.
Tasra and Tessa were looking for a carriage to go home so they stood and waited beside the stone pavement, outside the store.
"So we will rest and just stay home for today?" Tessa asked.
"Mhmmm. I think so." Tasra replied. Marketing wasn't much tiring for a little while within a day, but he thought it is better if they would just rest for the whole day, since tomorrow he will be the one who will watch their farmland. Suddenly, he remembered the statue of the Forgons he saw earlier.
"Tessa, did you see an army of Forgon earlier on our way here?"
Tessa shook her head. "No. Why? Did you? There is no unusual with those patrolling scums."
"You're wrong."
She frowned at him. "What do you mean?"
"I saw their knights and the sorcerers of light. They have angel statues in their carriages. And I don't know where those are for."
Tessa's expression became puzzled. "Neither do I. But what about the statues? Do you think it is for —" Her words were interrupted as they both saw the Forgon army passing through the pavement before them. The knights in armor, sorcerers in white robes and each carrying a long wooden staff, then the angel statures that Tasra was talking about. This time, there were five statues, each was carried by carriages. Even the people around them were astounded by these as it was also their first time to see those figurines. Silence has taken over the crowd while the patrolling army passed through. Then they turned their attention back on the things they were doing when Forgonians were gone.
"What do you think?" Tasra whispered, turning to Tessa whose gazed was locked on the angels, being steered few hundred feet away from them.
"I really don't know. I'm not sure." She turned to him with a stern look. "I can feel that this is something a bad omen for us. Let's go to aunt Floressa. She must hear about this."