Chapter Twenty-Three: Farewell, My Greatest Mentors

In the same afternoon, the sky was grey and gloomy. Tasra and sire Segraum took a visit in the cemetery of Western Eclus. It was only several feet away from the council house. There were countless tombstones all around. Before each tombstone was a vase with flowers. Some were wilted, while the others were not. Some have daisies, some have roses. Few trees stood and scattered. The council man was in a black leather vest and boots with a black hat, while Tasra was on his usual black cloak with his hood covering his head. They stood before a tombstone where Floressa's name was inscribed. Her vase was empty.
"So, you knew it, all along?" Tasra spoke. Keeping his gaze at her aunt's name in her tombstone.
Segraum nodded. "Yes. Ever since in her second year as a councilwoman, I sensed something different from her. Floressa was always going home early or somewhere else I did not know, especially in dawn. Until the time came when she accidentally left some of her sorcery scrolls and mixed it with the paper reports and records that she has in the council house."
"Oh, I never thought that she would be that incautious." Tasra said with a faint smile.
Segraum laughed softly. "Yes, you're right. From that time, I confronted her about it and that was when she told me everything. I accepted her and let it be a secret between us. From that time, she told me everything about their coven. Your coven, rather. And yeah, up until now, until she... has gone." He paused and heaved a deep breath. "I can also sense Forgon's plans based on Floressa's thoughts and suspicions." His smile faded. Segraum stepped forward and traced his fingers on her name. "I hope her soul is in peace now. Farewell, for one of the most hardworking council people of Western Eclus, and for a trustworthy friend that I ever had." No tears went down from his eyes, yet his expression says it all. Segarum took off his hat and bowed his head, so did Tasra. They offered a moment of silence for a special person they had in their life. Nothing more, but eternal peace. Farewell, my friend. Segraum thought. After a minute, the councilman turned to Tasra. "So, what's your plan now that the Forgonians could no longer invade us?"
Tasra opened his eyes and shrugged. "I'm not even sure." He opened his hands and it flared purple. "They say that this was the power that corrupts our ancestors. It is now in my hands, and I was able to use it for the protection of our coven from the Forgonians and light sorcerers." The flare quenched and Tasra turned to Segraum. "I don't think of renouncing this power. I swear to you, and to every people in Mirillios that we, the Coven of the Black Rose, will use this in good hands. Because I believe that we could be safe under the shadows of our coven and not be daunted by the blinding lights of our conquerors before."
Segraum was convinced and nodded at him. "Very well, Tasra. You sound like your aunt. And I won't hesitate to trust you, no matter what your decision will be." He gently patted his back.
"Thank you, sire Segraum. I thank you, once more, for doing your best to defend us from Luison's people and mostly trusting us, especially aunt Floressa." He bowed to him as a gesture of respect.
Segraum smiled at him. "No worries, Tasra. From now on, I assure you that you can trust the rulers and the government since Luison and his forces are no longer here. There must be no law that abides any harm to everyone's existence. No matter what prevails in your blood, or where do you come from." He patted his back once more. "You'll be safe with us."
Thunder rumbled through the sky. Segarum glanced above and continued. "Oh, it might rain. I have to get back to my kids." He faced Tasra for the last time. "Good to see you Tasra." The councilman walked away, leaving Tasra alone before Floressa's tomb.
He went closer to her tomb and knelt as he touched it. I hope I did the right thing, aunt. I promise not to fail you and be a good Superior Warlock and coven head. Thank you for everything, aunt Floressa. He stood and went to the next tombstone on the right, which vase was also empty. And you too, sire Ronan. I won't fail you and will do my very best to use the Black Rose's power for good. From his pocket, he pulled a pair of glowing purple roses. Tasra placed one on Floressa's vase, and the other one for Ronan's. He stepped away and stared at their tombs in silence. May the gods guide your souls in your afterlife venture towards peace. Farewell, my greatest mentors.