Chapter Twenty: The Black Mist

Tasra halted his footsteps and turned around. The bloodshed was almost done. He knew that others have managed to escape yet he let them be. What is important is that king Anfred Luison, the man behind all the miseries of their coven, has finally gone. Most of his gargoyles sat on the roofs of houses, observing the several corpses in blood-stained armor along with white cloaks and broken staffs on the ground. The flare in his eyes quenched. Well now, I think it's time for you to witness who the true superior is and what a monster's wrath feels like. He remembered his words. Monster's wrath. Naturally, the thought made him guilty. He didn't know what to do about it. Perhaps this power was the one used by his ancestors when Mirillios used to conquer other lands before. Suddenly, the dark clouds drifted back, covering the vast and bright purple sky. The surrounding went dark, like it was night by then. The flaring pink eyes of the gargoyles became brighter. The lights of the lantern posts became more visible, however the houses' windows remained dark. Perhaps people were aware about the gargoyles, and they thought that it would harm them once they hinted their presence inside. Tasra wasn't sure. He knew he cannot reverse everything as he still felt pity for all who died. It's our lives or theirs. Tasra thought to himself. It was their choice to follow a tyrant's order. To think of how many people could die in his hands, this power, the Black Rose's dark spells was indeed menacing. Suddenly, he thought of something he can do. "Scatter around the entire Mirillios." Tasra called on the gargoyles. "Find all the remaining people of Luison. But do not harm them."
At once, all gargoyles opened their wings and shot into the night sky. Their dark figures almost camouflaged with the clouds as they flew. The warlock closed his eyes and his hands flared purple. He shot a long blast to the sky and spoke. "From now on, I summon the borders of this land. So that no other nation could ever invade us nor see us from afar. No matter if we can no longer sail across to the lands beyond. For as long as none of the people of Mirillios will be harmed, or none of us will harm people from the domains beyond." The skies rumbled. The color of his purple flames traced across the churning dark clouds. "I, the children and the descendant of the Black Rose's coven, summon the Black Mist to conceal us and to protect us." He pulled his hands, and his beam has gone.
"The herald's wish is our command..." The Spirit of the Black Rose whispered. From then, the black mist around his body has vanished. Tasra closed his eyes and saw a vision where he sees the shore of Mirillios. There was no people out there. The coconut trees were being blown by the wind. The sky was gloomy and gray, unlike how dark it was in Western Eclus. The sea remained calm with its soft waves. Later on, the clouds turned dark and took over the sky. Thick black mist descended from the heaven. It concealed and covered the borders of the entire seashore until the waters were no longer seen.
His vision shifted to other seashore of Mirillios. There were two fishermen who came rushing to reach their hut on the beach. On their way, they carried their pails of fish with them. It was windy under the dark sky. They glanced back at the sea and witnessed their boats being devoured by an unknown black mist.
On his third vision, the seashore was a territory and a ship port of Forgon. There were three battleships on the sea and the knights panicked as they went away from it. Petrified, they dashed across the gangplanks, then to the bridge across the beach surface since the ships were being swallowed by the mysterious mist. When the ships were shrouded, they heard no voice nor any noise from it, although they knew that some of their comrades left there. Half of the bridge was unseen as the mist concealed it, too. It was still cold outside. When most men of the ships have already evacuated to the houses on their port, their curiosity was piqued. Three armored knights went to the bridge to inspect their ships. One of them brought a torch. Together, they carefully walked on it. Below, the waters' surface was still visible.
"The herald's wish is our command..." It was the Black Rose Spirit who whispered. Concurrently, the flame of the knight's torch has quenched. Their heart jumped in surprise and unsheathed their swords. They keenly looked around but saw nothing. They went ahead and as they went far, towards the mist, their path ahead was hazy. The surface of the waters was hidden, too. The black mist was right before them. The Spirit whispered the same words repeatedly.
"Who are you? Show yourself!" One of the knights exclaimed. In a sudden, the Spirit of the Black Rose has silenced. The bridge trembled lightly as there were heavy footsteps approaching in front them. The knights held their position. They were wondering what was going on. Fear was crippling from their hearts yet their bravery must prevail. As the knights of their mighty kingdom, they must never show any weaknesses. Whatever this was, they must face it. Surprisingly, the bridge has calmed again. One of the knights stepped forward. He peered but he did not see any silhouette of their ships. Instead, two flaring pink eyes emerged before him. The three knights fell back from the mist where a tall gargoyle showed itself and roared. Astounded by the creature's size, the knights did not hesitate to retreat to their port. On their way back, there were more roars of gargoyles thundered from the sky. They ran for their lives and hid inside the houses. They were horrified and aware how outmatched themselves were against these creatures. The vision has vanished. Tasra opened his eyes. His spell worked, and it was the only way he thought on how he can free his land from any scars of conquering.