Chapter 1: Rebirth

"I guess this is the end.."

Her hoarse and battle-weary voice floated in the wind as she wiped the blood dripping down her temple.

The sickening metallic smell of blood and burnt human flesh drifted in the air.

Glancing to the sky painted a deep red as dawn broke, a lone figure kneeled on the battlefield surrounded by soldiers from all sides.

She leaned heavily against her sword as a support, having fought for a day and night. Her legs and hands had gone numb and her breathing was labored.

As she glanced apologetically at the motionless people who were once alive and fighting by her side, her vision starting to blur as her life slowly seeped out of her.

"She's a monster."

The people surrounding her were also tired from the endless battle through the night, slowly lowered their swords as they watch her succumb to her death.

It was victory for them but for some reason they felt that in the face of that burning passion and strength to fight one against hundreds, they couldn't shout out that they had won.

She on the other hand had lost the battle, but she only felt a hollow and empty feeling inside, there was no fear towards death.

Ever since she could remember, she had not been able to "die." Each time her life reached an end, she would be rebirthed into another life to once again 'restart' and live again.

At first she was enthusiastic about this divine power similar to immortality, but after living so many different lifetimes, she was tired of this endless cycle.

The moment her eyes closed, there was only one thought in her head.

'To die and never open my eyes again.'

But it did. She was once again reborn into the body of a 17 year old young lady - Qin Ruisheng*. (Italic names means the previous Qin Ruisheng before our MC was reborn into her body!)

As she stared at the red mahogany wood canopy of the bed, the memories of the body she now occupied flashed before her in the usual dream like sequence.

Her name was now Qin Ruisheng.

Her father, Qin Fang came from a humble background, slowly climbed the ranks of the army but eventually died for his country as a hero.

The Commanding General who returned with his bones solemnly reported the news and requested the Emperor of Great Bei to enshrined Qinfang as a martyr that died for his country and its people, conferring Qin Fang a Title as Marquis Qin.

Surprisingly, the usually bickering court ministers did not disapprove of the matter and it was settled rather quickly.

After all it was merely a honorary title since both parents were gone, leaving only their daughter. There was no son to pass down the title to either.

The only good outcome from it was that the rewards bestowed to Qin Fang gave Qin Ruisheng an easier life since she could rely on the money and name to continue her life in peace.

The news spread quickly through Great Bei and everyone was busy discussing the topic.

But before they could even have the time to gossip, just a mere three days after the Emperor had bestowed the title, another wave of news sent them reeling.

The fact that the Commanding General of the JiuWei Battalion was getting married.

It wasn't only the people, even the Emperor of Great Bei himself was so stunned that he felt his head spin a little, even felt that his ears must have heard wrong.