Book 13: Feng Yi Meng (Mature)

Hei Jinyu sat across her listening intently as Qin Ruisheng quietly recounted the events, his expression unreadable as she described Ruan Luoluo's plan.

He had known Luoluo for years, and while he was aware of her growing feelings for him, he had always maintained a clear boundary between them.

However, he had never imagined that she could be capable of such vindictiveness. The revelation of her manipulative behavior left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"I never expected her to go to such lengths."

He murmured, more to himself than to Qin Ruisheng. He made a mental note to remind his brothers to stay further away from Ruan Luoluo.

"It's not your fault,"

she said softly, sensing his inner turmoil as she continued,

"You can't control how others behave, only how you respond to it."

His eyes gently searched hers for any sign of judgment or reproach. But all he found was flicker of understanding and a hint of sympathy.

"I don't know if i should praise you for cleverly dodging the situation."

It seemed that Hei Jinyu was not a complete idiot.

The man who supposedly had a stroke was one of the Emperor's favoured concubine's father. Had Ruan Luoluo succeeded in her plan, who knows what kind of reward she might have requested from the Emperor.

Qin Ruisheng teased playfully, lightening the serious atmosphere.

"What's wrong with that? You would be able to enjoy eating fish for the rest of your life."

Hei Jinyu stared at her with a cold and annoyed expression. He then folded his arms and retorted,

"Looking after one childish wife is more than enough."

Qin Ruisheng stopped giggling and pouted slightly. This man was truly aggravating.

"Since when did you have a wife? I thought I was just a suspicious person that you didn't trust."

But he didn't reply her anymore and continue to rest in silence.

Qin Ruisheng was slightly annoyed but she continued talking, this time, her real goal of this conversation.

"That sword that you used back there- its different from the one that you normally carry around."

Hei Jinyu was surprised that she was suddenly so interested in his sword. He glanced to the sword by his side in its dark red sheath, picking it up slowly.

He smoothed his fingers over its hilt; the color of dark red/burgundy, with a gold inlay, pommel and sword guard. The sword guard itself is hexagonal-shaped with intricate designs of a dragon coiling around it. on its pommel, attached a small red ribbon with a gold bell on its end.

"This sword isn't mine."

"I can see that. It's too small for you and it doesn't suit you in the least. Your sword is probably the one I used the other day..."

"Feng Yimeng."

Qin Ruisheng was startled, her eyes shooting up to meet his eyes but realise that he was gazing at the jingling gold bell, there was depth hidden in his eyes as though reminiscing about a long passed event.

"This sword belonged to Feng Yimeng, the great commanding general of Great Yun who died on the battlefield sacrificing her life."

Qin Ruisheng could see that Hei Jinyu held some sort of complicated relationship with Feng Yimeng, she pursed her lips as she let the name slowly roll of her tongue,