Book 9: Are You A Dog

'Shlick!'

The clean sound of blade cutting through wood rang out.

Though the person holding the sword seemed as if a single gust of wind would topple her over, with each strike, she had cleanly cut a thick bundle of bamboo in half.

"Brother what is going on?"

Hei Zhiyu shook his head, avoiding his little brother's question.

He already had to deal with many things in camp but yesterday he was suddenly called into the village town only to find a beheaded and naked village chief inside a room, and in the outer halls was his brother with a barely visible red bruise along his hair line while a dozen or so concubine were shivering in fear in front of him.

He thought that was the end of their problems, but when he asked Qin Ruisheng about the red bruise on his brother's forehead, her ears turned bright red as she glared coldly at him and only to leave in anger.

Hei Zhiyu was so busy all night that he didn't even have time to rest. By the time he was done, the army was already preparing to pack up camp and start their march again.

Since leaving the village town, the entire way, the two did not speak at all, not to mention they avoided each other like the plague. Things were fine before but the relationship between Qin Ruisheng and Hei Jinyu seemed to be getting worse.

Qin Ruisheng stuck near Hei Weiyu the entire time, talking and laughing about various things and even listening to him ramble on about his war stories.

They had to travel quite a long distance so there were only a few short breaks in between.

It took them 13 hours of marching before they decided to put up camp for the night. Selecting a wide open area below a mountainous area.

Once everything was done, unlike last time when she'd usually sit around and talk more with them, Qin Ruisheng only took a small bite before excusing herself to go 'train'.

"Since when did Miss Qin learn swordsmanship?"

Hei Weiyu's eyes was glittering in awe as he nudged his elbow into Hei Zhiyu's side, his eyes still watching Qin Ruisheng practice her moves,

He had thought Qin Ruisheng to be a sheltered young lady but now he realized that Qin Ruisheng was quite similar to them, she loved riding a horse compared to being stuck in a carriage and she was even diligent in training and practicing her sword despite the tiring journey.

"A gentle flower who wouldn't even harm a single ant my ass."

Recalling Qin Fang's bragging about his one and only precious daughter, Hei Weiyu couldn't help but laugh, stuffing a piece of meat into his mouth.

How was she unable to hurt a single ant? She was hacking away at this bamboo bundles as if they were but thin paper.

Ignoring his little brother's crass language, Hei Zhiyu stepped forward and questioned lightly,

"Since when did Miss Qin have an interest in swords?"

His words seemed casual but there was still a hint of suspicion. Qin Ruisheng wiped her sweat with a sleeve.

"Since I was young."

Well it's not a lie since she only picked up the sword in one of her many past lives, so long ago that she couldn't even remember her name then.

"I hid it from my father because he did not like it. Why? Want to test it out?"

She twirled the sword in her finger before shooting a playful smirk at him, playing it cool so as to not give herself away.