Chapter 9: Explanation

Y/N’s POV:

            “Usnavi…” I whispered his name.

He’s here… In the flesh! Before I could even find words in my mouth, he spoke,

“Hello, Miss Y/n…” He scratched his nape, looking down.

“I… how did you… why-” I can’t seem to finish my sentences.

“Can we talk?” Usnavi said, finally looking at me.

“Come in.” I replied.

As he went inside, I slowly closed the door. I can’t believe he’s here. After everything I went through just to see him, who would’ve thought he’s gonna come to me himself?

Usnavi stopped on his tracks as he stared at Lafayette for a few seconds.

They’re now staring at each other.

Moments later, Usnavi came running towards Lafayette and hugged him, like how a kid hugs his father.

I looked at Lafayette, and he seemed surprised and confused, but he didn’t stopped the kid from hugging him.

Right… Lafayette’s like his hero.

After the hug, Usnavi sat down beside Laf without taking his gaze away from him.

I quietly sat on the other couch, waiting for Usnavi to talk.

“What is happening?” Lafayette broke the silence.

“It’s good to see you again, Mr. Lafayette.” Usnavi said smiling at him.

My eyes widened from what he said.

WAIT WHAT? WHAT THE HECK DOES HE MEAN BY THAT? THEY’VE MET BEFORE?!

Lafayette still looked confused.

“I’m sorry little one, but… I don’t recall ever meeting you.” Lafayette reacted very puzzled.

I looked at Usnavi the same way.

“Okay, so you gave me a book and didn’t warn me anything about it being literally magical, then you didn’t show yourself for weeks after leaving me bewildered by what’s happening, made me look for you for DAYS, then got me violate one school regulation by stealing your personal information just to get your address, which almost cost me my job by the way … And now you’re suddenly here telling us stuff we can’t even grasp mentally?! Kid, ya need to explain yourself.” I ranted.

Usnavi looked at me as his smile switched to a nervous grin. It’s as if he’s been expecting this reaction from me.

“Alright, I’ll admit. I did left you a lot of confusion and unanswered questions. And I apologize for that, Miss Y/n. But ever since my Abuela told me about your visit yesterday, I just knew it’s time to finally tell you everything..”

Me and Laf faced Usnavi with a stern expression, waiting for him to clarify things.

“First of all, I know all the things of what the book can do. And I gave it to you on purpose, Miss Y/n. The book of Lafayette is just one of the Four Preeminent Books Of History  my family owned, written by our ancestors.”

“Preeminent Books of History?” I queried.

“It’s a collection of four books all about the four great heroes of our history who helped Washington win the war against Britain. Alexander Hamilton, John Laurens, Hercules Mulligan, and of course… Marquis de Lafayette.”