Chapter 13: Get The Job Done

Usnavi’s POV:

              Mister Hamilton and I immediately went to the back door when Miss Y/n and Lafayette walked in to the front porch.

Before we went inside, we first threw a rock at the CCTV so we wouldn’t get caught, then Mister Hamilton did the rest by knocking the guard out, who was supposed to be on patrol.

“I haven’t punched someone like that in a while since the incident with the bursar at Princeton…" Hamilton mumbled, smiling to himself.

I just chuckled quietly and gave him a small tap on his back that says good job.

We then made it inside, and sure enough, most of the guards are at the living room, keeping an eye on Miss Y/n as she does her part of the plan.

As we sneaked upstairs, we were surprised to see that there are no guards securing the door to the study.

That’s weird.

I just shrugged and lead Mister Hamilton inside the room. As we went inside, walls of shelves filled with books surrounded us.

“So… Where do we start?” Hamilton asked.

“Don’t worry, it’ll be easy. It won’t be that hard to find the books.”

“Can you tell me what part of this is easy? Look at all the books here!” Hamilton looked at me frantically.

“Knowing my uncle, he wouldn’t put such important stuff between all the normal ones. He always puts it on special places.”

“Meaning Laurens and Mulligan’s books aren’t on the shelves, but on a hidden space!”

“Yeah, took you long enough to figure that out. And you’re supposed to be the smart one between the four.” I smirked.

“Hey!” He cooed, offended.

Moments later, we’ve already searched every drawers and cabinets on the room, but saw nothing. We were about to give up, but then a particular book on a shelf caught my attention.

A calculus on a shelf full of history books? Now that’s gotta be something.

I reached for the calculus, and when I pulled it, the book wouldn’t come off. But I heard a thud behind the walls. Then the shelf suddenly moved on its own and was split in half, revealing the books of John and Hercules, both placed on a silver bookstand.

Bingo…

“You found it!” Hamilton exclaimed.

I grabbed the books and held them as tight as I could. I won’t ever let these go again.

As I was about to walk towards Mister Hamilton, we heard the door open.

We immediately ducked and hid behind the big bookshelf.

“Is someone else here?” An unfamiliar voice echoed through the whole room. We slowly peeked and saw a man in a black suit coming towards our hiding spot. It’s one of the guards…

For a second, I just stood there, frozen. We’ll get caught… What do I do?

“Run, Unsnavi.” Hamilton said, looking at me in the eyes.

“W-what? What about you?”

“Don’t worry about me. You have to get the job done.”

“But we’ll get caught either way…”

“I’ll let him chase me so that you can escape. I’m not a good runner so he’ll probably catch me soon. But it’ll give you enough time to get away from here.”

I looked at Mister Hamilton with fear written all over me.

“Listen carefully, kid. I’ll distract him, and then run as fast as you can. Don’t look back, and don’t you ever let the books go. You are our only hope, Usnavi. ”

He held both my shoulders and gave me an encouraging look. His eyes saying “You can do this.”

I nodded at him. He took a second to smile at me, then he got out of our hiding spot to get the guard’s attention.

“Hey! Come and get me big guy!” Hamilton shouted and ran off.

“HEY! GET BACK HERE!” The guard screamed, chasing Hamilton out of the room.

I didn’t waste another second, and so I sprinted my way out of the place. It’s a good thing the guards at the gate were still unconscious. Just how hard did Lafayette knocked them out?

Anyways, back to me running.

I did just what Mister Hamilton said. I ran as fast as I could to get away, and didn’t look back.

The moment I saw a narrow  alleyway, I quickly hid there.

I’m now the only person here. It’s just me and the books. I’m all alone.

Well, not for long…

Y/N’s POV:

            “Lock these three up!” Santiago shouted. The guards pulled my arm, forcing me to stand up. They did the same to Lafayette and Hamilton.

They put us in a dungeon at the mansion’s basement. They just aggressively threw me inside, causing me to almost fall face flat on the floor.

“Sois doux avec elle,!” (Be gentle with her, you bastard!) Lafayette snapped.

“Calme-toi, Lafayette. Ce n’est pas le moment d’attaquer.” (Calm down, Lafayette. Now is not the time to attack.) Hamilton put his hand on his shoulder, holding him back.

The guards just scoffed at them, probably not understanding what they just said.

I understand Lafayette’s reaction. I know he’s been holding his anger in for a while now.

After the guard locked the cell, Laf turned to me with a softened look.

“Are you alright, ma chérie?” He crouched, holding me on his arms.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry, Laf.”

….

Thirty minutes seemed forever for us, as we sat on the floor still locked up. I’m resting my head on Laf’s shoulder while he rest his head on mine.

Hamilton’s sitting at the corner on the other side of the cell.

Where is Usnavi? What’s taking him so long?

Usnavi’s POV:

                   I took a deep breath, and put the books on the ground. I crouched down, and held the cover of the books. I slowly opened both of them at the same time. I also read them at the same time.

Don’t ask me how I did it. I’m just awesome.

As I continue to read, the pages of the books glowed. Just like before, the bright light intensified, which caused me to cover my eyes.

Moments after that, I slowly opened my eyes to see two men standing in front of me. The other one had a darker skin, while the other one had a longer curly hair tied to a low ponytail. They both shared the same outfits, blue coats. Both in their military uniforms.

“What the…” The bigger guy spoke as confusion wondered his expression.

It’s Hercules Mulligan.

“Where are we?” The other guy with curly hair asked. He shared the same facial features as mine, not to mention, my freckles.

It's none other than my ancestor.

John Laurens.

“Greetings to the both of you..” The two looked at me, dumbfounded.

The three of us just stared at each other for a minute without saying anything.

The perplexed looks on their faces says it all.

“Woah, who are you?” John asked.

“Who are you?” Mulligan echoed.

Okay this is going to be a fun conversation...