Epilogue

Y/N's POV:

Moments after Santiago and his men were taken by the police, the six of us met at the mansion's front yard. The mansion was completely empty after the police's interrogation and investigations. It was only me, Lafayette, Hamilton, Mulligan, Laurens, and Usnavi that was left.

Usnavi took the four books with him, carrying all of it by himself. I wanted to help him carry some, but he insisted he can manage.

As I watch Usnavi lay the four books in front of us, I felt a hand wrapping my waist.

"Does your back still hurt?" Lafayette asked.

"It still sting, but at least I can walk."

Laf held me closer.

"That's good."

"Okay, stop talking like that you two. You're making me misunderstand things..." Mulligan chimed in.

Both of us laughed it off, as if this isn't going to be the last time we'll be joking with each other.

My face slowly dropped when I realized that. It hurts.

"Are you okay, ma chérie?" Laf looked at me, worrying. I forced a smile, but sadness is still evident in my eyes.

"I'm fine..."

"Errkkk! Liar!" Hamilton shouted, making an "X" figure with his arms.

"Okay, fine. I'm not okay." I rolled my eyes.

"It's just... This is it. This is going to be the last time I'll see you..." I faced Lafayette melancholically,
"All of you.." I said, low spirited.

"Aww, I know we've only met for like, hours. But I could already say that you're a friend on mine." Laurens stated.

"Same here." Mulligan pouted.

I gave them a smile, appreciating what they said. They're right. I only met them for a couple of hours, but it seemed like we knew each other for months. After everything that happened, I took my time to talk to them and got to know two more legends from history. I'm glad I met them, even if it was just for a small amount of time. And I'm most certainly glad I met Lafayette.

Who would have thought that a famous historical figure would make my heart pound like it had never pounded before? Make me feel helpless as I look into his eyes. But makes my heart burn and break into thousands of pieces at the same time.

I feel like I belong to him, but he doesn't belong to me.

I hate the thought of it, but it's true.

"So, when we get back, we won't even remember what happened?" Hamilton queried.

"Yes. This is the only way to prevent change in history. Laurens and Hercules will go back without any memories of being here. The same goes for Hamilton and Laf. Hamilton goes back to his job as Washington's secretary and plans for the upcoming war against Britain without remembering a single second they've spent in this timeline. And..." I paused as I tried to stop the tears from starting to form in my eyes.

"And Lafayette goes back like nothing had happened. Probably going to marry someone from a rich family." The words that came out of my mouth stung me to the core. Lafayette looked at me the same way I look at him. Hurting.

"It's not fair, ma chérie... Why can't I just stay?"

"Hey... Look at me. I know everything is hard for you. It is hard for me as well. But we need to understand and accept the fact that you don't belong here... " I held his cheeks and had him make eye contact with me.