4. The Act of Deception

Deception- Lying with sincerity

"Rule number 5," Priya spoke calmly looking straight into Jayveer's eyes. As if punched hard in the gut, Jayveer's expression turned remorseful. Like me, everyone was quiet and trying to understand what rule number 5 could be.
Priya moved her gaze from Jayveer to Hitesh and in fear, the boy swallowed the leg piece in his hand. He was a big mouth, unlike most of the accounts nerds who spoke only about numbers. He coughed hard and Manav patted his back but the food travelled in his windpipe making it difficult for him to breathe. His coughing became persistent and Jayveer suggested he drink water.

Priya clenched her fist in a ball. Was she going to punch him? If Hitesh could, he would have run from there watching Priya's tight fist but she put her hand below his rib cage and above his navel. She moved it in a circular motion bringing him instant relief.

"Just why you should eat only the authentic is to avoid such accidents. Of course, talking less or not talking at all should be your first choice. Sadly, people don't exercise their choices properly." Priya stood straight when Hitesh's breathing was back to normal.

"Thanks." He said genuinely but still huffing.

Manav didn't want his subordinates to have issues with each other so, he intervened and warned, "Hitesh, I think you also need to apologise for the taunts you directed at Priya. I don't appreciate it and will take action against it in the future."

Hitesh apologised sincerely and was escorted to his room by his junior.

"Priya please have your dinner. It's not good to keep grudges over food." Manav forwarded a plate to Priya but she smiled bitterly.

She ate a spoonful of the vegetable and stated, "Food is like God to me, and disrespecting it is the last thing I can ever do. Anyways, I have refreshed our dear Head Chef's memory of some forgotten rules and he will brief you about my denial to eat if he thinks it fits. Thank you for a fantastic evening, goodnight." Priya left my heart in an uneasy space. The girl was misunderstood and perhaps, she preferred it that way.

Priya moved out of the main resort area. Is she quitting? Mehta will slaughter them if she leaves. I should be happy but I am not.

Why is she going to the quarters where labourers live? She scanned the area and saw the labourers eating in a group from the huge tiffins sent by Jayveer. Their children were running around with meatballs in their hands and she smiled looking at them. She clicked a few pictures of them and I knew she got her social media content for the day. That's what the poor is used for these days.

"Hello!" She greeted the group with a big smile, a genuine one that I have never seen on her face. "So, did you like the food?" She asked them in a chirpy voice.

"We have never tasted anything so delicious." A lady mason replied and asked Priya, "Are you from the hotel?"
Priya gave a small nod in agreement and saw the kids giggling looking at her.

She walked up to them and they stood straight suppressing their laughter. She bent to their height and asked them, "Do I have horns on my head?" The kids looked at each other amused by her question. They didn't reply and to my utter surprise, Priya twirled one child around and put him down making all of them laugh. "Now tell me why were you laughing at me?" She asked them in a slight baby-like voice.

"Didi he said he saw you on tv." One of the boys said and Priya's smile diminished for a second.

She composed herself and said, "Shall I tell you a secret?" Priya raised her brows and the kids nodded yes. "The girl you saw on tv was not me. She was my duplicate. Don't tell anyone, okay?" The kids looked shocked and Priya ruffled the boy's hair and smiled at their reaction.