1. The heart of a Rock

Experience comes with age, and I am older than the Himalayas. I have witnessed the sunset and the moon rise countless times, and I know the patterns of rain when the dance of peacocks soothes my sore eyes. But my knowledge goes beyond the natural world. I hold the stories of war and love, of warriors and deceit, of longing and hope. To the world, I am just a mountain, a silent observer. I am more than that. I am a rock, solid and unyielding, yet with a heart that beats with the rhythm of life. And now, after eons of silence, I choose to speak about the audacities of humans.

The little saplings growing on me have been cut to create a magnificent structure, The Anandya Resort and Spa, which sprawls all over my arms and legs. This is nothing new for me as my kind has been slashed and shaped to suit the demands and desires of people. It was all acceptable to me but this time, they ripped my heart and made it a kitchen! To the very least, I deserve a honeymoon suite at least.

I see no point in sulking over the situation, but I do intend to turn over the situation.

I possess not merely two, but several eyes, and at present, they are fixed upon two individuals who have provoked my ire: the haughty owner, Mr. Laxmivilas Mehta, and the shrewd contractor of the resort, Miss Malti Baweja. I invite you to eavesdrop on a conversation between two cunning foxes.

"Mr Mehta, as you can see the construction is done and the structure looks magnanimous. Undoubtedly this will be the largest and most luxurious resort in the Aravalli range, just as you wanted."

Although admiration shone in Mehta's eyes as he surveyed the building, he merely gave a curt nod and instructed his secretary to summon the resort's general manager, Manav Kohli."

Like a pimple that appears overnight on teenage skin, Manav appeared on the site. He was a tall, dark, and handsome man in his mid-thirties, who happened to be both single and available. Don't be surprised by the embroidering – as I mentioned earlier, us rocks have a heart too. Manav greeted the owner with cordiality and listened attentively to his instructions.

Mehta lit a cigarette and explained his plan, "Manav, as you are aware the USP of the resort will be the dynamic energy of the youth. All the workers will be below the age of thirty-five because I believe, experience has nothing to do with age."

Ouch! That hurt my ego. Mehta will soon realise his mistake I am telling you because I know it all. Please, don't give that eye roll.

As the blazing sun beat down in late June, Manav suggested they continue their conversation inside and escorted Mehta to the grand lobby of the resort. A few other managerial staff joined them and briefed him about the progress on their respective fronts.

Mehta was satisfied with the progress but his eyes darted at Manav when he learned that his most desired people were still not on board. He questioned sternly, "Why are they still not here?"

Manav looked at Eva, the Human Resources (HR) head. She was a timid girl who looked scared as if someone had hit her. She framed words in her head that could convince the owner about her efforts, but she could only manage to say, "Sir, I called both of them, several times, but they refuse to work together."

"They are a tough nut to crack, sir. But we have several other options that we can explore. Moreover, their differences are well-known to the world. Why should we willingly step into harm's way?" Manav chimed in, suggesting a new list of potential candidates to Mehta.

Mehta rolled his fingers on the table and scanned the list. He shredded the paper and stated, "I want nothing but the best on the plate. Give them an offer that they cannot reject. Money on one side and ego on the other, what will you choose? Money, right? I have put a hell lot of money into this resort, and I am ready to spend more, but I want results." Mehta got up from his chair and faced the mountain in front of him.