3. The Cook in the Heart

It was raining cats and dogs and the trees on my head were struggling to keep their ground. It was all muddy and dirty but the kids of the labourers working at the resort were having the time of their life. Such is life. Something that you hate might be something that someone else loves.

Baweja, the contractor, was making every effort to ensure that all potential leaks were identified and sealed. Her team was positioned throughout the resort, working diligently to cover all areas. She knew that she had to do her utmost to get the job done, as failing to do so would likely result in the wrath of Mehta, who was notorious for being merciless when it came to subpar performance.

Humans work hard but they just don't work for the harder right.

Manav was coordinating with the employees and briefed them about how to deal with such situations. "Our resort is well made and can handle any natural calamities. We have power backup of up to forty-eight hours and supplies that could last for over a month and more."

He explained to the front desk staff how they should reply if the guests panicked or behaved nastily. "Patience is the key. The hotel industry survives on this trait. No matter how rude the guest is, always deal with a polite smile but if they cross the line, say for example they abuse you or even worse, charge upon you, then you may first warn them and if it gets uglier, you can always report it to me. I am here to help."

Everyone clapped for Manav and most of the staff admired him. He was talking with other employees when a girl greeted Jayveer with a delightful smile.

"Hello, Chef Jayveer. I am Rimi and I will work as the concierge. I am a big big fan of yours and I so wanted to see you in every season of Master Chef but you never came back." The girl's disappointment was visible in her tone and expressions.

Jayveer smiled politely and skipped giving any reason for his non-appearance. "I am here now and you can see me in every season."

The boy is a big-time flirt. The girl, Rimi blushed hard and lowered her heavily mascaraed lashes. She left for the exclusive meeting of the front desk staff after taking a promise from Jayveer to have a cup of coffee with her.

Jayveer was aware of his charming personality and used it wisely to his advantage. He knocked at Eva's cabin before entering inside. His eyes met Priya's momentarily and he could see their spark missing. Or was it just a lack of kohl in those big greenish-brown eyes? What could one say after the morning encounter in the kitchen?

Eva gestured to Jayveer to come inside, "Hi Jay, please sit. We were discussing the kitchen supplies and additional equipment required. By the way, meet Mr Hitesh Sharma from the accounts department. He has allocated a new kitchen budget. Let's discuss."

Hitesh and Jayveer shook hands and he sat on the only vacant chair that was next to Priya. Hitesh was strict on budget allocation but Jayveer tried his best to convince him and they arrived at a midpoint at most of the places.

Priya was shortlisting additional equipment and raw materials she required and when she gave the list to Hitesh he looked at her in horror and asked her with amusement, "Chef Priya you cannot be serious. These things are going to eat up the entire budget. Flying raw materials from France, Italy, Belgium, and Brazil? Hiring a French chef as your assistant whose salary ask is higher than... All other people of his rank are unacceptable and unfair."

Priya walked in her high heels and stood next to Hitesh. She asked him in a fake sweet tone, "You know what is unfair and unacceptable, Hitesh? You being placed as the head of the accounts department."

Hitesh frowned and got up from his chair. He wanted to counter her but Eva begged him to keep mum. I could see Priya liked the effect she had on people. She thrived on people's fear.