6. Sweets to a Rock

Watching her work was like seeing a beautiful dream cuddled in the arms of your beloved.

I am talking about Priya who was wearing a white coloured chef's coat with her name embroidered in leaf green colour on the left side near her heart. She loved herself the most but I feel she loved decorating those muffins more.

My heart was filled with the aroma of berries, beer, cinnamon, cardamom, coffee, and chocolate. Please take notice of the use of alliteration in the demonstration. Can't help turning into a poet as I am just lost in the sweet seduction.

Jayveer and other kitchen staff came to Priya's section to offer help or were sometimes just driven by the smell, but she told them she preferred to be left alone. The girl began working at noon and was standing continuously till six in the evening.

Jayveer came to the kitchen to check the preparation of the proposed buffet dinner when he saw Priya decorating a dessert. I could sense contradictory thoughts running through his mind because he shook his head twice before coming to Priya's side. He looked around but could not see any prepared dishes. He didn't question her because he knew she must have done more than required.

He politely suggested to her, "Priya, just take a break and relax for a bit. I am guessing everything is done. Leave your counter, I will send someone to clean it up. Not that it already isn't."

Priya just nodded no and continued her work. Jayveer stood near her observing intently what she was doing. As she removed the final strawberry jelly from its mould and placed it delicately on the platter, a wave of desire washed over me, wishing I were human just to taste that heavenly-looking dish. Jayveer's eyes widened in admiration, while Priya smiled at her impressive creation.

"Good job." Jayveer was brief with his compliment.

"I know." Priya was... Well, just being Priya with the reciprocation. Jayveer was right when he taunted her on knowing how to say 'thank you' when he saved her from tripping on the pieces of my heart.

He exhaled a heavy breath in lost hope of a normal response from Priya. "Alright, go and change now. Tell me where the ready stuff is so we can plan the display."

"One, I don't take orders from anyone. Second, don't let Manav's advice get to your head. It's a waste for us to even try caring for each other." Priya replied while keeping the dish in the fridge to set. She removed the cap from her head and her long hair fell over her shoulder. If I were a boy, I would find the act very enticing but Jayveer didn't. He wasn't a Saint but I guess he had his preferences or preferred to avoid her.

Jayveer left without sparing a glance at Priya perhaps regretting his idea to come to her in the first place. I would too if she replied that way.

Priya took a bowl of some white-coloured sweet dish covered with dried rose petals and almonds and placed it near the Ganesh idol. She folded her hands in prayer and her eyelids were moving inside her closed eyes. Seeking peace from the divine is the only resort for humans because self-destruction is their favourite game.

Priya took one more bowl of liquid and sneaked it out of the kitchen after taking a glance at the rest of the kitchen. As if someone would dare to question her. She came behind the kitchen and sat on the same rock she sat on earlier. Taking the bowl in her hand she looked at my peak, like looking directly into my eyes trapping me in her trance. She dropped a spoonful full of the sweet liquid on an adjacent rock and smiled bitterly.

"Hey, dear rock, trust the spirits are good at your end. They certainly aren't at my end. But it doesn't matter, does it? We are what we are. Emotionless, and heartless to the world. Behaving tough and hard all the time is what the world expects from us and we match their expectations so well. Anyways, as always I got the first dish that I made in this kitchen for you because only artificial sweetness can balance our bitter life. Have fun, partner." Priya rubbed the tip of the rock she poured the liquid on and the expressions on her face churned every emotion in me.