05. serendipitous

"And then he touched my hand!" Tsireya squeals as she recounts her experience teaching Lo'ak to ride an ilu

"Wasn't he trying to grab the saddle?" Rotxo interjects as he eats some of the fruit that I was cutting.

"Okay and?? My hand was still touched—no, caressed!" She defends, while Rotxo holds his hands up as he surrenders.

When Tsireya got like this, we knew better than to try and argue with her. It's not that she's obsessed with boys; she's turned down many before; it's just that she's a hopeless romantic, and this Sully boy happened to tick all of her boxes. It would be annoying if it were anyone else, but Tsireya was such a pure soul who gave nothing but kindness—but her taste in men has not been the greatest. She saw the goodness in everyone, and that was her great hamartia, as she even saw it in some people who lacked a good bone in their body. I loved seeing my best friend happy, and I guess talking about Lo'ak was now one of the things that made her happy. I didn't know much about him, but he seems like a cool guy, though I might personally need to suss him out for her sake.

"Ew, are you talking about the treehugger?" Ao'nung grimaces as he enters his family's marui pod, reaching into the bowl of chopped fruits before popping some in his mouth.

I slap his hand away as he reaches for more. "Auntie Ronal hasn't even gotten here to have any, and you guys have made it through four whole ones already!"

"Already doing wife duties for me, I see?" He coos at me.

All three of us cringe. One thing about Ao'nung is that he wouldn't let a joke go, though depending on the mood, Tsireya and Rotxo would join in with him—this moment wasn't the time for it.

"I have a knife in my hand; choose your words very wisely." I warn as I point the blade towards him.

He just chuckles and mutters "my bad" before taking a seat to join the conversation.

"I think Ranin would much rather do wife duties for someone else," she huffs at her brother before turning back to me with a small, almost mischievous smile. "How was teaching Neteyam~?"

Rotxo just groans. "Not you too, sis? What's the hype about these forest boys."

As I look up, I almost drop the knife in my hands, all three of them are watching and waiting for my response. I knew what she was insinuating with that sing-song tone, but I kept the expression on my face to a minimal, forging ignorance as I responded.

"Using Kame was a set-up, but regardless, he did pretty well." I simply stated as I continued to cut fruits.

That statement wasn't a lie; Kame was being incredibly difficult—maybe he was tired from the morning ride—which gave Neteyam a hard time, but other than the fact he fell off multiple times, including the time that was caused intentionally by me, he was perseverant. Though he couldn't stay on for very long, possibly owing to Kame's lack of cooperation, his technique improved with every attempt as he took on correction points immediately. In short, he was a perfect student.