08. happy to see you

Neteyam's pov:

Neteyam's pov:

It all happened so fast, I almost didn't know how to react.

Hunting took up the majority of the day, but I can't say I didn't appreciate it. I'd spent my entire life training to be a warrior like my father, and a part of me was afraid that it would all be for naught if I arrived here. That's part of the reason why I trained so hard when we first arrived; those late-night sessions, which gradually became an excuse for me to see Za'ranin more frequently, were initially intended to help me train to be on par, if not better, than my Metkayina counterparts.Though the time was enjoyed with Za'ranin, I didn't slack, made sure to try my hardest and cultivate my skills— I had a lot to prove, and I would not suffer the shame of being useless.

That's why when I got accepted to join the warriors in training, I felt a sense of relief—not that I became relaxed, that wasn't it; it's just that I finally had a purpose on this island and I was going to bring pride to my family's name, or at least that was the goal intended. Training wasn't easy, but it was rewarding—Ao'nung, though insufferable, was actually pretty skilled too, and through our shared classes, I guess we've formed some sort of friendship? Maybe I'm jumping the gun. When sparring, he's like a different person, still cocky but way more serious; you can see it through the glint in his eye. No wonder, having a father like Tonowari has got to be stressful; we were similar in that sense.

When not in wartime, warriors doubled as hunters, so when I was picked out to join the older clan members on a hunt, there was no way I could say no—I'll admit I was slightly hesitant as it meant I wouldn't get to see Za'ranin, but me and Ao'nung would just meet them later at what Metkayina called the cove of ancestors. To sum it up, the hunt was amazing, thrilling even—it was far from easy, but I'll tell you I loved every step of the way. I even met one of Ao'nung's friends, I think—their dynamic was way different from that of him and his yes man; they bickered a lot, almost like an old married couple, but they were just as competitive as each other; it was funny to watch, to say the least.

"Are you and Ikani a thing?" I asked after the hunt on the way to the cove.

He whips his head back to face me and pulls a face. "What!? No, she's hella annoying—why would you even ask that?"

"Just cause?" I shrugged; I just thought they had chemistry.

"Are you feeling her?" He asks rather quickly.

"No, I have someone else." I mutter the last part, but I'm guessing it's loud enough since Ao'nung brings his ilu to a halt and turns to face me.

"Who??"

"I didn't mean it like—"

"It's Za'ranin, isn't it?" Ao'nung simply states. I'm lost for words, but I don't deny it. Having attraction for someone wasn't a crime; I gained nothing from denying it, so I might as well own it.

"She's an attractive girl." I responded back. Now that I think about it, this is the first time I'm actually saying this out loud.

There's a beat of silence as he nods.